Do you think being politically correct adds to racial issues?

turtle68

Asked by turtle68 at 7:12 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. Instead of excluding someone because of their race, we're including someone because of their race. It's racism in a whole new direction.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 7:58 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I think it can! We're all so worried "tiptoeing" around descriptions of people, not wanting to insult, to the point where it doesn't sound natural, and it feels like even the most innocent comment is held up to scrutiny.

Of course, I also think the "PC police" are the truly racists ones, and the ones ALWAYS looking for a fight!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:36 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Trying to always be politically correct adds tension and stress to every issue.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:27 AM on May. 21, 2011

• There's a 90-year-old woman in my neighborhood that uses the word "colored," because in her day, that was the politically correct word...now folks think she's a racist.

I've talked to her, and I don't think she really is, so yes, is her case the way PC words change over time creates some tension.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 8:53 AM on May. 21, 2011

My dad said colored, too. He was far from racist, he loved everyone, no mater, race religion or whatever.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:39 AM on May. 21, 2011

• My Granddaddy said Negro. He always had 2 or 3 that worked on his farm and they lived there with their families. I remember picking peaches off Mamo's fruit trees with the other kids and taking them to Mamo to fry up into pies. There wasn't a racist bone in either of their bodies.

IMO, people can be offended by ANYTHING if they choose to be.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:25 PM on May. 21, 2011

• By being PC, and not saying 'Merry Christmas' as to not offend, or not say any number of things as not not offend CAN offend. It offends US. It offends the ones HERE, that have always done this. And from those that my hubby has talked to (soldiers from all over), they do NOT care if we tell them 'Merry Christmas'. They don't care if we say 'Happy Easter'. Or anything else. They don't want us to stop openly celebrating what we have always celebrated just to, appease? them. Just to be PC. Being PC goes way WAY beyond being kind to another human being.
    And the same goes to what we call someone of another race. Although, some blacks get offended no matter what a white calls them. Some do not want to be called 'colored', some don't mind. Some do not want to be called 'African American', some WANT to be called that.
    Being MORE considerate/caring and LESS politically correct would be a better thing. IMHO.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:09 PM on May. 21, 2011

• i don't see why it would. the statement seems very generalized. pehaps broken down into a specific situation..one might see the two aligning?? hard to say yes.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:54 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Yes. I do. It becomes like this white elephant that no one wants to talk about. So, by not talking about things like race, we all become more aware of them.
    tel4him

Answer by tel4him at 7:30 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Ignorance is not bless. Why is it that I find that people like LoriKeet find it so difficult to take a moment to be kind to another human being and put themselves in their shoes for a change.

***
    You have NO IDEA what I'm like in real life, but I can guesstimate the kind of character YOU have!! As a primer, not only do I have two special needs children, but I am also a special needs teacher, and have spent MANY years as a Red Cross volunteer instructor, inner city, residential camp counselor, and worked at a Boys and Girls club for several years when I was in college.

I bet I have spent more time CHOOSING to help others in my lifetime, than you can even imagine!

I would have responded to you sooner, but your comment was obviously so inappropriate that more than 6 people gave you down votes which collapsed your comment....exactly where it should be!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:03 PM on May. 21, 2011