How do I handle fighting at school like kids picking on my son?

My son keeps getting picked on at school, i know from experience that if ur parents tell the teacher it makes it worse.. my son has a speech problem and he has a hard time to explain him self and he kept coming home crying and I took him out because the teacher said they had not "seen " any kids pick on my son but i know my son is telling the truth .... what do i do?

ChasTannersMom

Asked by ChasTannersMom at 7:31 AM on May. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If it's one kid in particular doing it, you could talk to the kid's parents directly. I've told my sons to tell if anyone picks on Patrick in their class. Does he have a classmate who could be a buddy to him?

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:47 AM on May. 21, 2011

• he's autistic so he doesnt have any friends :( im trying to change that , but im having a hard time
    ChasTannersMom

Comment by ChasTannersMom (original poster) at 7:50 AM on May. 21, 2011

• ive put him in self defense classes but that was a bad idea he was goofing off and using it on kids smaller then him so i took him out but that was 3 yrs ago
    ChasTannersMom

Comment by ChasTannersMom (original poster) at 7:51 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I like that answer above, there is a lot to be said about Martial Arts, building self esteem and discipline! But sometimes parents do have to intervene, kids can't always handle the situation by themselves. Teachers may not be seeing whats happening to your son but bringing awareness to it will help. Call his teacher, that way your son wont be so upset..The more he or she knows the more they can watch for!  Meanwhile, teach your son how to deal with the "bullies!" Give him examples what to say or do, when this happens to him.

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:54 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Aww I'm sorry to hear that! Thats terrible kids can be so mean!! The only thing i can think of is teach him how to defend himself because this is just the beginning. I teach mine too. Or have your son pick out the kids that are messing with him and talk with their parents
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 7:56 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Maybe there could be some sort of autism awareness education set up at the school. There are growing numbers of kids with it these days and I honestly believe that educators have a responsibility to teach acceptance. Go to the school administrators with your concerns.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 7:58 AM on May. 21, 2011

• This is tough... Both my boys had speech issues. The school they attended had a special speech class they went to. My 8 yr old works with the autistic kids in his speech class.

I would disagree with you about the teacher... I would go to the teacher and if that did not help then I would take it up with the principal.  I would ask your son if he knew the names of the kids and where it is taking place.  So the teacher could keep an eye out.  (I don't usually go to the teacher with stuff, but if your son is coming home in tears this needs to be handled).

sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:00 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Trust me, I know from personal experience. Do not ignore it. I was tortured all through school and I know for a fact that the teachers will go out of their way not to see what is going to because, if they see it then they have to do their jobs. You need to start with the teachers and make them aware and tell them that it will be in their best interest to see what is going on. If the teachers refuse to do anything then go over their heads. Bullying is not a problem that will resolve itself. You need to get tough and get tough now and, if the kids pick on your child more because you speak to the teachers then you should go up and raise hell again. You need to become that school's worst nightmare until your child is safe. Your child deserves to be safe and make sure that, if you can't defend him, then teach him to defend himself.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:04 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I agree with Razzle Dazzle1- teachers need to be aware of the bullying. If they refuse to do anything about it, then go to the principal. Bullying needs to be taken seriously. Your child deserves to be safe and the school needs to pay attention and deal with the bullying now before it gets worse. I am sure your son is not the only child these bullies are targeting. The bullies need to be dealt with and the school needs to take action immediately. I hope things get better for your son.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:20 AM on May. 21, 2011

• If the teach continues to ignor the problem you need to take it up with the principal immediately. If the principal doesn't take care of it, and rip the teacher a new one for ignoring it, you should go to the school board. If you still can't get it taken care of by the school, find out the names of the kids and take legal action against their parents. You need to fight for your son. Good luck!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 11:09 AM on May. 21, 2011