Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how does my daughter go about becoming a second parent legally

My daughter and her partner did the artificial incemination and just had a beautiful baby boy. Now i need to know how we go about makeing him my daughters legal son. The emotional part is already done he is my daughters son period. But god for bid if anything ever happen to the biological mother my daughters parter in life , I dont know what would happen to my daughter son. We need to know how we go about makeing him my daughters son by law.

Please Help,

Shellie = Grandma (SMILE)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Adoption

Answers (10)
  • You cant. You can put something in writing saying shes a legal guardian but legally she has no parental rights to the child. If they split up she would have no right to petition for any kind of custody because she is not a biological parent.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

  • If the bio mom has a will that says the child goes to her then the child will go to her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

  • First they need to talk to a Lawyer.

    Answer by louise2 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

  • Thats not true there is a way it is called second parent adoption i just dont know how to go about it and was wondering is any one has gone throgh the process. But thank you for your reply

    Answer by angellbc1 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 7, 2008


    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

  • Her adopting the child depends on state laws. But, she can have herself named the co-parent a lot of step parents do that instead erasing the bio parent out forever. Just because she isn't biological doesn't mean she isn't a parent. And even nowadays step parents are not being dumped out of their step kids' lives because of a divorce. I would look it up on the internet and/or go talk to an attorney. And have the bio mom write a will now and give your daughter some kind of power of attorney so she can take the baby to the doctor and stuff like that. My husband gave me POA-guardianship over my step son while he is in Iraq because he is going to deploy before the adoption goes through. Good luck.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 6:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

  • The laws in every state ARE different. You need to speak to a family law attorney and preferably one who works with custody and/or adoption.

    Answer by Southernroots at 6:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

  • They'll have to go through an attorney for the adoption, and meanwhile, the partner who carried the child can have a guardianship and will made up naming your daughter as the parent who should end up with the child. Also, since they live in California, I think it's legal there, however, they'll need copies of the decrees for schools and so forth in other states. We live in Arkansas, and 2 parent adoption isn't legal here.

    Answer by sizesmith at 8:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

  • You need to speak with a lawyer specializing in adoption I would say. Like others above, you also need to know state laws.

    Answer by heavenschild99 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

  • No advice of wisdom here, just sending my best wishes to your daughter and her family. I have always said, a child can not have TOO MANY people to love them....especially 2 Moms....what a gift!

    Answer by ceejay1 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.