What is wrong with my baby? Can a 10 mo. old have insomnia or a sleeping disorder?!

I am now going on 10 1/2 mo. with out more than 4 hours of sleep in a row and usually in a night. My LO wakes often 4-5 times a night and it is killing me!!!!! Yes, these are still on nights she is not teething, not gassy, not too tired or not tired enough, etc.  And yes, we have bedtime routine of dinner, play, bath, story, nursing, sleep.
On good nights she goes to sleep at 8:30, wakes at 12AM and 4AM (for a feeding)....and she is ALWAYS up by 6:30.
I am still nursing, but only 3 times a day....cutting to 2 and I also give her anywhere from 8-12 oz. of formula a day. I fill her up with lots of veggies, cereal, and canned baby food around 7 each night then nurse and sometimes add 2 oz. of formula at her feeding before bed.
I can't just let her cry when she wakes....so that is out of the question. Most of the time she is easily soothed by me simply putting a paci back in and she goes right back to sleep....but I am up having to walk across the house into her room.

This can't be the norm!!!!! I have no idea why she wakes up from a sound sleep! How do we both get at least 5-6 hours of sleep???!!!!!

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 8:31 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be as simple as she is relying on the pacifier too much. If she is back to sleep once you replace it then I would suspect that as the reason. Try putting her to sleep without it to break her of that habit. Soothe her until she is sleepy and lay her down. Have a consistent bed time routine, every time, and she will pick up on the cues that it is time to sleep.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:36 AM on May. 21, 2011

• She spits the paci out when she is truely asleep....probably about 15 min. after I put her down so I don't think that is it. And I just added that we have had a set bedtime routine since birth. Still lost!
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 8:45 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Consider that she can not soothe herself back to sleep if she always gets to sleep by using the pacifier. I'll bump you for more ideas. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:53 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I have literally FILLED the crib with pacifiers hoping she finds one and goes back to sleep when she wakes....she has done that a handful of times :(
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 8:55 AM on May. 21, 2011

• This is normal. At 10 1/2 months old though, your baby shouldn't need 2 feedings at night, it's a habit for her to wake up and be fed. Unless you're willing to let her self soothe and get herself back to sleep, she's going to keep doing this and you have a lot of sleepless nights ahead of you. Also, my son is 2, he still takes a paci to sleep and still wakes up at night if he can't find it. It doesn't happen every night, but it still happens and sometimes several times a night.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:41 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Sounds completely normal for my kids.

My oldest didn't sleep through the night until her second birthday. I was like you and just couldn't let her cry because it seemed so mean...but after 2 years of it, I was a wreck. So I finally did let her cry. The first night, she cried for 45 minutes, the second night 20, then 10, and after that she slept like an angel through the night.

What was most amazing is how wonderful and pleasant my daughter and I were able to be during the day once we were both getting sleep. It was like a personality transplant for both of us. I felt like it was worth being mean for a little while at night to be a much nicer mom all day long.

My boy, didn't sleep through the night until 10 months when I also let him cry; a 3 nights, and then he was a sleeping angel. I had tried everything first with both kids...but in the end, for my little ones, forcing them to learn to self-sooth was all that worked
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 9:44 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Maybe I will just have to suck it up and let her cry. I have only one time....and after 22 min. I had to go in there because she was sopping wet with tears and snot and standing and falling the crib over and over. I don't really know if I can handle that again.
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 10:28 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I fill her up with lots of veggies, cereal, and canned baby food

^^That could be part of the problem - until a year old, breastmilk/formula are all the nutrition a baby needs - solids are just for practice, hold very little nutritional value (cereal is nothing but iron and cheap filler - it's the equivalent of you eating a loaf of white bread - fills you up but leaves you hungry again way too soon, while turning into sugar/fat in your body and not being utilized for good energy), and don't fill a baby up the way the calories & nutrition in breastmilk & formula do. So either spread the solids out more through the day, or just cut back on them at night - give a bottle of formula first, then the solids, and nurse for sleep later. Try that for a week and see if it helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on May. 21, 2011

• You really should consider let her cry out for a little bit, maybe start slow like cry from 1 or 2 min then graduately let her cry longer next time. That schedule sounds like my son when he's 3 months old. I don't like to see him cry and it's very hard to not go up there, but when you know you just changed diaper, fed him, and burped there's nothing there to do. I let him cry one time for about 15 min and ever since then he's been very good not crying after he wakes up and sooth himself by sucking on his fingers to sleep. I never like to use pacifier b/c I knwo i will have to get up at night to put it back on him. Now's he's 6 months and sleeps for 10hours.

Idk why my son wakes up everyday around 6 or 7 too, maybe it's bright outside or the birds starting to make noises.

Not sure if you have any help, if you do, you can pump and leave the feeding to the other person so you can take some rest.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:08 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I know it sounds crazy but my 6 month old started sleeping longer at night when I started putting her to bed earlier. she used to go to bed at like 9 or 10 and kept waking up at night but I gradually backed her bedtime to 7pm and now she pretty much always sleeps til 6:45 or 7 am
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:50 PM on May. 21, 2011