Once a cheater always a cheater?

AnitaB27

Asked by AnitaB27 at 8:43 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I used to think this was true, but I now know otherwise.
    Years ago, when my husband was 10, his parents divorced because his Dad cheated. My DH admits that the marriage was not good before my FIL cheated. 10 years later, my FIL married again. This woman is the LOVE of my FIL's life. He has never cheated and I don't think he will ever cheat on her.
    He cheated because he was unhappy. should he have cheated? No, and he knows that. He acted badly and has owned up to that behavior. He is not the same person that he was then.

I was miserable with my ex. I was a horrible mean, nasty bitch because I was miserable. I am not the same person now that i was with him. I do not treat my current DH the way I treated my ex.

I think the quality of the relationship can indeed affect a person's actions--whether those actions are right or wrong.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:50 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I believe that if people are in the same type of relationship they were in when they cheated, then YES, they will cheat again.

I also believe that some just have a tendency to cheat, now matter how wonderful the relationship may or may not be -- so yes, once a cheater, always a cheater. They may curb that tendency to cheat, but the thoughts will still be there -- which is emotional cheating.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:01 AM on May. 21, 2011

• There are always exceptions to everything in this life...but for the most part...the answer to this question is yes.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:49 AM on May. 21, 2011

• layh41407 I like what you said.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:57 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I agree with layh41407 - I also think that some people can grow up and change.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 10:18 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I agree with layh41407 as well. My dad cheated on my mom once, it never happened again. They got divorced years later, they're both remarried. My dad adores his wife now as well and has never cheated again. I think for some people it's part of who they are, they are unable to be monogamous.

But I think for a LOT of people they are unhappy in their marriage and instead of actually talking about it they turn to someone else. What they do is wrong, and they know it and admit it. Those people are the ones who will only do it once, they learn their lesson the first time and it's something that will follow them the rest of their life. Cheating is not part of their personality.

miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 10:28 AM on May. 21, 2011

• according ro rachel green's mom, yes.
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 11:25 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Not always. Each situation is different.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 12:26 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Maybe not, but I think I would always have that suspiciion in the back of my mind & it would be hard for me to totally trust again.
    Tweeby

Answer by Tweeby at 2:53 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I believe once a cheater always a cheater. People rarely change their personality. My ex is a perfect example. He cheated on me. His gf then cheated on him. They broke up. By this time I am remarried, new baby, etc. My son comes home from dads and says dad wants me to know hes changed and to give him another chance. I tell son tell your dad he obviously hasnt changed, he is hitting on a married woman.

Answer by gemgem at 9:45 AM on May. 21, 2011