How much sugar is considered a lot in food for children and what is a good amount? I realize the least amount is best

vegepunkstr

Asked by vegepunkstr at 4:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Health

• Actually children like adults need sugar in their diets to survive. Obviously you dont want to overdo it and have kids with a sugar high or that might gain alot of weight. My rule of thumb is they get no more then I would (appropriate serving adjustment obviously). That means just bc the bank teller gives me a sucker for them doesnt mean they get it. If I have a candy bar then I let them have some chocolate.

Answer by gemgem at 4:57 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• The USDA suggests that you get about half of your calories from carbohydrates. This is the sugar found naturally in fruit and vegetables . Sugar from corn syrup or table sugar should really be used sparingly or not at all because it adds no nutritional value, just empty calories.
    An example is a diabetic that cannot comsume corn syrup or table sugar.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 5:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• sugar is in the form of carbohydrate... and an adult needs about 300g/day. at least 75% of the sugar should come from complex CHO and simple sugars (fruits, veggies, starches, fibers).

so if you're looking at a box of candy, or can of soda, and carbohydrates say 28%, yo're already over your limit.

With children, it's probably close to 200-250 grams total, with the same % ratio
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• So if you normally burn 1750 calories per day (10,500 calories per week) and you want to lose 1 pound of weight per week, you need to reduce your calorie-intake by 3,500 calories - or, 500 calories per day. This means consuming about 1250 calories per day.Fat contains 9 calories per gram, while protein and carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram.
    There is not an actual RDA (recommended daily allowance) for carbohydrates. Between 50 and 55 percent of a person's calories should come from carbohydrates, which are your body's main fuel source. Include whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products into the daily diet. For example, if you eat 1,250 calories a day, you should have about 125 grams of carbohydrates a day (based on 50 percent of the calories coming from carbs).

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 3:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2008