Need a discipline suggestion for 13 year old son.

Last night my son begged me to let him have 5 of his friends spend the night. I told him he could if he made them all breakfast (I'm sick). So last night, they wanted to play outside in our backyard. I said NO because they are SO loud and Ihave respect for my neighbors. He argued with me all night, to the point of not even playing with his friends for a while b/c he was to busy arguing. Then I heard him later trying to keep his friends quite as they were all yelling downstairs, so he made up for that at least. Should I let it go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on May. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would assume he was showing his ass because he had friends over. At that age they like to show their friends how cool they are. Him arguing with you showed his friends he is not scared of you lol. I would just tell him that was the first and last sleep over for awhile because he showed his ass.

Answer by gemgem at 9:56 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Let it go...if you are gonna let him have FIVE teenage boys over- you HAVE to expect chaos and noise...
    I would have let them out (back) until like 10 or so them made them come inside
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:04 AM on May. 21, 2011

• He obviously got the message. I think maybe you should talk to him about it a little and just tell him that arguing with you is not a good way to show you he is mature enough to have a large group of friends over. Something like that.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 9:56 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Yeah,I would. He gets it,he understands,but would your neighbors do the same for u? Deprive their kids and friends from playing outside,it was Friday night! Let them have some fun! Here we have a noise ordinance,no really loud sounds past 10!!! 13 y/o should not be out past then anyway! I would have let them out,as long as they stayed in the yard and were in by 10!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:58 AM on May. 21, 2011

• i agree with charlot
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:16 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I would just tell him not to ask to have friends over again for a while, since he argued with you about your instructions. That was a demonstration of disrespect and it was done in front of his friends. It sets a bad example, and that's the point I would hammer home.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:40 AM on May. 21, 2011

• If it were me and my son I would def. talk to him about this, after his friends go home. I would tell him that I did not appreciate his rude behavior and arguing with me, and remind him that it is my house/my rules and when I say NO I mean NO-- end of story! I would also tell him that next time he wants friends over I will have to think about it, as he was arguing with me and ignoring the friends. I would also tell him that I heard him tell his friends to keep it down when they were yelling, and I appreciate that.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:20 PM on May. 21, 2011

• In my opinion I would let it go but not before talking to him about how he made you feel. Let him know that you were upset that he felt the need to play "man" of the house. You are the boss you set rules for a reason. Grounding him, or taking things away I would think would piss him off. he wants to act like a man talk to him as if he is one. I think knowing that you are disappointed in him and you expect more respect might just make him THINK about his actions. I mean in the end the punishment should fit the crime. Good luck!
    manda_42

Answer by manda_42 at 12:51 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Yes

Answer by admckenzie at 12:52 PM on May. 21, 2011