So, My sister's all upset... adult content

My stepsister is out of town for the weekend with her husband, going to her sister-in-law's wedding, and I'm keeping her twelve year old daughter and eight year old son and, last night, Becca started her period for the first time. I called my stepsister and she was very upset because she wasn't there. I took her to get some pads and and taught her how to put them on and everything and gave her the "not the end of the world", "just part of being a woman", "all a part of the cycle of life" speech and everything, almost word for word like my mother gave me when I was ten. My sister is really upset about this because she was gone and she missed an important event in her daughter's life. I should probably have a peptalk with her. Has this ever happened to you? How can I comfort my sister?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 10:26 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't think you can comfort her. The truth is that the timing of these things is not in our hands, and there is no way of knowing when they are going to happen. There is absolutely no reason why your sister should be so upset because you were there to take over for her, which is precisely why she chose to leave her children in your care. And you handled the situation as well as she would have, I am sure. It's not like she knew something was going to happen and she purposely abandoned her child to experience it on her own.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:32 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Well there isnt much anyone could have done differently, I mean, did she not want you to do what you did? I think she is over reacting. I understand, but still.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:53 AM on May. 21, 2011

• She's not upset at me. She's glad that I was there for her but she just wishes she had been here.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 11:21 AM on May. 21, 2011

• We have no way to control these things, I can understand your sister being upset she wasn't there but there's really nothing you can do.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 11:28 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I understand what you mean. I think there isnt any way you can console your sister, except have her give her daughter the talk twice lol. It will get better :) AND her daughter will probably need help with positioning pads sometimes too so i think if you give it time it will get better.
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 4:13 PM on May. 21, 2011

• well, now you're the cool aunt and she didn't have to have the awkwardness. i wish mine had been my aunt instead lol she'll understand later.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 8:41 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Don't feel bad. You did what you had to do in a given situation.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 11:15 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Well, there's always next month for your step sister to have the talk again with her daughter :)
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 6:11 PM on May. 22, 2011

• It is sad for your sis she missed this growing up milestone. Ask her if she can bring your niece some special grown-up type present. Her first rose, maybe a manicure at a salon, whatever but something special to mark the occasion. Maybe the 3 of you can go out for a fancy dinner you know with menus, tablecloths, real dishes, maybe even candles on table. Celebrate with them make it beautiful for all of you.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 11:41 PM on May. 24, 2011