Pre-existing condition? : Insurance question

Hi. My fiancée and I just conceived :-) we are so happy. Now we are getting married next week. Once we are married I will be on his insurance. I am not far along. Not even late yet. I just knew immediately. It is my understanding that insurance companies treat pregnancy as a pre-existing condition like cancer or insanity. My question is when I am added to his insurance, would I be able to wait a month or so before telling them I'm pregnant so I can be covered? I don't want to commit insurance fraud. Here are some points I'm taking into consideration. 1) My periods are extremely irregular and I am not sure when the 1st day of my last period was so I have a little room to wiggle 2) I am going to have a c-section, so the baby will come 2 weeks before it is ready to "hatch", if you will anyway. Could I say I conceived on our wedding day? As it gets closer they will have a better idea of when I'm due. I am not a dishonest person, but I need insurance. We make too much to qualify for Medicaid and in my town there are no decent prenatal doctors I can visit on Medicaid. I don't want to go to prison. I think the timing is close enough to say I was married first. Can I plead the 5th? I really shouldnt even know until next week anyway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Just to ease your worries:

Call your husband's HR department, and have them look it up. Usually, pregnancy is excluded. I changed insurance plans 1 month before delivery and was told by insurnace and HR that it would be no problem. It really was no problem.

But, check with your HR just to be sure.

You shouldn't have to wait to get care.

Congratulations!!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:50 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Don't worry about it. I was 4 months along and my husband got new insurance that took me. Check with your provider and ask what they consider pregnancy to be. Not all plans consider it a pre existing condition, and some do but only after a certain amount of weeks. Just research it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:50 AM on May. 21, 2011

• It honestly depends upon the insurance. When I got pregnant with my first, I was carrying an individual policy for myself because my husband was a student. (While I knew that my plan did not cover maternity, I was told I could call at any time to add it if I needed it. So it was a shock when I called and was told that now that I was pregnant, it was a pre existing condition, and I couldn't add the coverage I needed. I was told that I should have called before conceiving and added it. Ridiculous, considering she was kinda a surprise. Fortunately, my husband got a job with good benefits not long after. Maternity was covered in the policy, and I was picked up no questions asked. I'd have husband to be talk to hr at work and make sure it's covered, or figure out what can be done to get coverage before you get married. If you can make sure it's added before you're picked up, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 12:03 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Depends on insurance company both my pregnancies were pre-existing conditions
    bree_gabys_mom

Answer by bree_gabys_mom at 3:16 PM on May. 21, 2011

• It DEPENDS on what state you are in. Several states have had laws on the books for YEARS now that said pregnancy can not be a pre-consisting condition. After states it DEPENDS on the insurance company. Not all companies label pregnancy as pre-consisting.

I live in IL and I know state laws here forbid it. I know because back in 2001 the insurance company had to cover my pregnancy they could not label it as pre-consisting, because of state laws. Research your state laws regarding pregnancy and insurance companies. After that just talk to HR at your soon-to-be hubby's work.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:27 PM on May. 21, 2011

• It says on his policy 'a pre-existing condition does not include pregnancy at time of enrollment'
    Yay.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:10 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Good to hear! Congrats!
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:28 PM on May. 24, 2011