• In the Spotlight:

How do you get an autistic child to spit out toothpaste?

He wont do it,he keeps swallowing it.Does anyone have any ideas how I can get him to spit it out?

amanda2780

Asked by amanda2780 at 4:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I also have autistic children, and just about EVERYTHING we do is a "game" involving their favorite Disney characters or whatever they are "in to" at the time.

For toothbrushing, I placed "Cars" stickers in the sink, and the "winner" was the one who could spit their toothpaste on the most stickers! It worked!

Since they don't do a great job brushing, I also have them dip their toothbrushes in a cup of ACT fluoride rinse, and brush their teeth with it (in addition to toothpaste)--it's safe to swallow little amounts of the fluoride rinse--every little bit helps!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My sons autistic and he used to do the same thing. You have to brush your teeth in front of him and have others do it and then spit it out and say ewww yuck. They learn from other people but you have to repeat it over and over again. If he wont catch on you might have to use the same thing babies use to brush their teeth.

Answer by gemgem at 5:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• You can also change the taste of the toothpaste. Also the game thing sounds good and it may work.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 3:46 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• if he won't spit it out hen water the toothpaste down and they have the kind tthat is ok to swallow I thought if you teach him to spit will it beome a "naughty" bahavior ??
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2008