How do you make Tacos ?

When my dh makes Tacos he usually puts in alot of different ingredents. (think tacobell's supreme times 2) and of course a lot of different sides to go with it. A meal like this could easily cost us $30 - $35 to feed us.

I use to think that Tacos was suppose to be an quick, easy and inexspensive meal until I saw dh do it.

How do you make your Tacos? What's in them. Is is quick and easy or a complicated dish? How much does it cost to make them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I am Hispanic and grew up on mexican food so it is cheap for me, but maybe because I usually have all the staples needed to make mexican food?
    I use 1-2 lbs ground beef. I use 1-2 packs of Taco seasoning in the packages you can get at the store. The cost at most $1 each. Taco shells or small tortillas for soft tacos (maybe another $2-3). Shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes and cheese. I can generally make enough for 12 people for under $10. One way you can make more is by adding 1 can of refried beans to the hamburger mix. You easily double your meat doing that, add fiber, and flavor.

Answer by gemgem at 11:46 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I agree with PP
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 11:46 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I usually use ground beef or chicken...lettuce,tomatoes,cheese,salsa and sourcream...i also make re-fried beans I do them myself with mashed up pintos with some taco seasoning and cheese...I also top mine with tomatoes and sourcream...sometimes I'll make yellow rice as well...so yeah mine can go from quick meal to prep and cook time of an hr. not too sure of the cost.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 11:48 AM on May. 21, 2011

• ground beef, tortillia, lettuce, shredded chease, tomatoes.. Easily a $15-20 meal

beef 1lb about $4.00
    lettuce about 2.00
    tomatoes 1.00
    cheese 3.00
    tortillia 4.00
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:05 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Cook meat (about $4 worth), drain, add taco seasoning (I buy the bulk jar of it - pretty cheap). Flour tortillas & corn shells (about $4), shredded lettuce (about $3), cheese (about $2), salsa ($2), sour cream ($2), black beans / rice sometimes (up to $5).
    Anonymous

• LENTIL TACOS
    Ingredients
    1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
    8 ounce can tomato sauce (or home made)
    corn tortillas (for fun, use a mix of white, yellow and blue)
    1 packet dry taco seasoning mix (or make your own with the recipe below)
    handful of textured soy protein, optional (I leave this out)
    lettuce (shredded)
    cucumber (seeded, peeled, sliced)
    tomatoes (chopped)
    lemon or lime wedges (optional)
    Directions
    Cover the lentils with water in a large saucepan. They expand tremendously so use a large pot. Add tomato sauce, textured soy protein, and taco seasoning. Bring to high heat until boiling. Simmer at low heat until the mixture thickens. Add more water if necessary and stir often so that the bottom does not burn. This process will take about an hour. You want to cook it until it's about the consistency of cooked oatmeal. Taste the mixture and add more seasonings if necessary.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 5:13 PM on May. 21, 2011

• . In the meantime, heat the corn tortillas in the oven, directly on the oven rack for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
    Assemble the tacos as desired. Squeeze the lemon wedges over the tacos... yum!!
    This recipe makes a large quantity and is very flexible with the garnishes. Experiment by adding chopped avocado, cilantro, onion, etc. I prefer these without salsa since the taco filling has so much flavor on its own. Enjoy!!
    Taco Seasoning:
    4.5 tsp. paprika;
    1 tsp. cumin powder;
    0.5 tsp. oregano;
    1 tsp. chili powder;
    1 tsp. onion powder;
    0.25 tsp. lemon powder (optional, I've never used it);
    1 tsp. salt;
    1 tsp. sugar;
    0.5 tsp. garlic powder;
    1 tsp. flour;
    0.5 tsp. cocoa powder
    Mix all together and store in airtight container. Makes approx. 4 tablespoonful - the equivalent of 1 package of seasoning (enough to season 1 pound of meat or a substitute). This mix is very mild, I add cayenne.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:14 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I make them like GemGem does! Totally Hispanic...but like where she'd add Mexican Spices I add Puerto Rican spices like sazon lol...and serve them with arroz con gandules...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:49 PM on May. 21, 2011

• For our family of 4 we use:
    1 lbs. ground sirloin
    1 lbs. ground turkey
    garlic
    onion or scallion
    Goya sazon (I'm PR)
    olive oil
    sea salt
    cracked pepper
    flour tortillas
    roma tomatoes chopped

If we have a few extra dollars I'll splurge on some avocado and cheese. We all eat and there's lunch for me the next day. Since I have everything on hand the only thing I have to buy is the meat total about $7 and tortillas - a package of 16 costs just under $2. That's it. Ground beef is too greasy for my taste, and one pound of sirloin runs about $4.50.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 11:15 PM on May. 22, 2011