Publicly advertising one's beliefs: Why?

While picking up a prescription from Costco today, the lady in front of me was wearing a large t-shirt stating in enormous letters: I AM NOT PERFECT BUT FORGIVEN. The lady behind me was wearing a pink rubber bracelet with bold letters on the inside of her wrist stating: I AM SECOND.
Why do people feel the need to do such?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why do people feel the need to express themselves in any public way? Through their clothes, bumper stickers, tattoos, etc... I don't see the big deal or that it is a "need". People show who they are in any number of ways. It shows pride & is a way to connect with those of similar mindsets.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:41 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I wear a bracelet that say "Support Autism Awareness" Does THAT bother you? If not, why would someone wearing a bracelet or a shirt supporting something they believe in bother you?

I wear that bracelet to get people to think about it. They might do the same. They succeeded--not only did you think about it, you posted about it.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:36 PM on May. 21, 2011

• It makes them feel more secure.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:51 AM on May. 21, 2011

• i wear my OKC Thunder & NOLA Saints shirts b/c i want the world to know im proud to be a fan & support the team. my DHs fav shirt is one from a Special Olympics event which is a cause close to his heart. why shouldnt ppl be proud & supportive of their faith...its better than being ashamed of it. they want the world to know where they stand.

are you confused by all ppl who display their likes on their shirts/jewelry or just religious ones?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:04 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My husband has a shirt that says "I'm not perfect just forgiven". @ anon you are right....I don't care weather strangers care or not. Its like people that wear the shirts that have OBAMA in huge letters. I care about him at all but why would it matter to the person wearing the shirt what I think? It doesn't...and why should it? Its their shirt not mine.....
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:52 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Because it's a free country and they are proud of their beliefs and secure in them. Why should anyone else care? It's not different than anything else someone might wear sharing their favorite team or band etc etc. They aren't forcing you to believe the same way they do. A little MYOB goes a long way in cases like this.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 12:22 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I dont see the problem with being proud of what you believe in. I would have a bigger problem with someone wearing a shirt that was obnoxious or had crude things on it when me and my kids are out. People simply proud of their beliefs? Not a bother.

Answer by gemgem at 11:48 AM on May. 21, 2011

• For Christians, there are several Bible scriptures that speak about it...

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile." Romans 1:16

"So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God." 2 Timothy 2:8

"Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels" Luke 9:26

CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 11:51 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Because we live in a free country where people can wear shirts proclaiming their love of their religion, sports team, college, etc.

Why fret or get upset about it? It is what it is and its not worth the energy getting all ticked off cuz they proclaim something you have no interest in or no love for.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:38 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I have my religion listed on my FB page. I haven't got them yet, but I really like the "Out of the Broom Closet" and "Born Again Pagan" t-shirts. I wear my pentacle necklace and earrings ... is all of that too much for you?

People are proud of their faith and here in the US, we have the right to proclaim it.

Here's a question for you OP, why should people hide their beliefs???
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:48 PM on May. 21, 2011