Ex friend is making work almost unbarable. WWYD?

I've been friends with this girl for years, its kind of complicated how we know each other, and I've always called her my sister. She is my SILs fiancees sister.

While I was pregnant with my DS almost a year ago the company I worked for gave me no choice but to quit to get the time off to have my boy and adjust to motherhood. I wad told I could have 5 days for everything no matter what came up medically and if I wasnt back on day 6 they threatened to fire me. (If only I knew then, what I do now...) But anyway I was having trouble finding a job after having my son, so this friend (ill call her Lynn) got me a job in retail at a very large company. Mind you, I was a manager at a call center before making significantly more money than the minimum wage I get now. So when opportunities come up at work to accept more responsibility I take it as a challenge to show what I can do to be more valuable to get more pay.

Needless to say I've gotten several promotions in responsibility but not in pay which I don't discuss and wont discuss with anyone I work with bc its too controversial to compare pay. Anyway as I've been advancing and being noticed at work Lynn has been slowly but steadily becoming more and more of a bitch to me. Shell be.upset about other things and take it out on me. Her bf broke up with her, she treats me like crap. There's a lot of freight at work, treats me like crap. And so on. I told her over the phone the other day my aunt died and I needed to find someone to work my shift. And she yells at me bc she's stressed out. Over what? I've got no clue. I asked but she wldnt tell me. I told her that I understand shes upset and stressed and I was sorry for that but its not right the way she treats me. I told her I won't let her treat me like that.

Basically I had to work with her last night and she literally screams at the top of lungs about me. Just stupid stuff like I'm not smiling (mind u its midnight I'm still at work and I'm tired from waking up wig my DS and dreading waking up the next morning bc I'm so tired) I didn't do or say anything mean to her. I didn't think our falling out, if it has to be that way had any reason to come out at work.

I still didn't say anything despite the fact I now have ppl approaching me asking me what I did. A part of me wants to explain bc I don't think I was in the wrong in the slightest sense for asking someone to stop treating me terribly. I did it in the most polite way possible. But another.part of me just shakes my head and tells everyone that its just not something that belongs at work and that's that.

I don't know if I should say anything, I've worked on this friendship to the point that I'm exhausted and just tired of it. I like my job but its slowly getting to the point that I don't know if I can work with her. I've been searching for a second job, maybe ill just use what I find as a replacement. But it doesn't seem right to be "chased" out of my job and that's what that feels like.

kpincince

Asked by kpincince at 11:48 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• You have discussed it with her and it has not helped this is your job is there anyway you can avoid her if not its time to take her to the side and say look we work together but this has to stop or I will have to go over your head. I am usually against it but she is using her position to take everything out on you do not take it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:56 AM on May. 21, 2011

• I wonder if she is jealous because you are moving up at the company, getting noticed and doing a good job... while she (who has been there longer) might not have been promoted as quickly at her job as you were. So that might be why she is such a bitch to you-- jealousy. I would talk to her and say "I really don't know what I did to cause you to be such a bitch to me. Frankly it is unprofessional and I do not deserve to be treated like this. I am giving you notice right now, if you keep it up I will report you!" I would also talk to someone in HR, a manager, or boss and tell them that you don't know what set her off, but it is not acceptable. Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:00 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Ex friend
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:50 PM on May. 21, 2011