How to talk to a know-it-all who makes things up?

Recently I went on a road trip with a bunch of ladies to the great lakes area. While on the road, we got into a lot of "life" conversations. One lady said that she was one of those rare types that has been through just about everything. Without giving much doubt, I started into a conversation that I has plenty of backgound myself thinking that she could share some answers to some question I had. Come to find out, this lady knew nothing of what she was talking about even though she wanted to sound knowledged. She just went on and on with the b.s. I didn't say anything to not embarrass her. I just changed subject. Then she went to talk to another younger lady with more wayward advice. I called her name to start her on another subject. At this point, I'm glad to have figured her out enough not to invest into her information or even to partner with her on some projects.

Question- If I hear her giving wrong advice to another lady that maybe dangerous to believe (medical or legal), how can I gently interject accurate information to save the listener from acting on bad advice?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on May. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• When she is talking smile and shake your head in the background and interject saying there are so many solutions to this do we have to come up with them all tonight? Or Like my ex boss used to say thats just one suggestion. People like her will not get the hint but the person she is giving the bad advice to will get a hint.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:01 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Just tell them you arent 100% sure if what she said was right because you have heard otherwise and ask them to call a lawyer or doctor (whichever "expert") to be sure.

Answer by gemgem at 12:01 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I would say "REALLY? Well...i see it differently..."

I have no problems with pointing it out right then & there. Sometimes embarrassing them is doing them huge favor. It just might show them that people know they're full of it....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:11 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I would take the other woman aside and tell her that I thought that she was given some bad advice.
    jaysmommy04

Answer by jaysmommy04 at 12:24 PM on May. 21, 2011

• If it's possible, get the victim of the advice to the side and say "I heard *Joan* telling you_______, but from experience I know_____.". This is far different from a know it all (as know it alls are usually spot on with their info lol). I don't like talking to people who make things up, you talk to them about a subject once and then they'll flip flop on what they've said. Try to avoid her and give everyone else a heads up on how she is.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:19 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I would not say anything. You are not the God of correcting everyone. I think u would look like an ass if u went around giving everyone your opinion over somebody elses.
    Anonymous