What can I do to work in the movie business?

Well, I love movies... just like everyone else I suppose, but I seem to have a very deep love for them, they are art to me. I don't want to be an actress, but I would LOVE to take part and work in something to do with movies... I don't know what, I just know I want to take part in them somehow.... My problem is that I live in a small town in Texas not too far from Houston, and have no money... so I have no clue how to make this happen. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks moms.

Juliebee81

Asked by Juliebee81 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Money & Work

• This may help you decide.

Movie Crew Glossary

Glossary of names and titles referring to movie industry workers. ... people behind these titles actually do? Here's a glossary of key movie industry jobs: ...
    movies.about.com/library/glossary/blglossary.htm -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I am from Cypress, TX. My cousin went to college and was involved in film there in Denton. He now moved to LA and works in the mail room at "The Price is Right".
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 3:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• A lot of people advertise for extra's on craigslist. The pay is not that great. I think most of the legit ones just give a day and time to show up and what they are looking for, so you might want to be a little careful if you don't know the area the job is in. My BIL does film work. He went to college and studies film in San Diego. He has another job and now does the film work on the side.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• At one time I wanted to work in th industry so badly. I got lucky because I lived outside of NYC. I didn't want to move to LA. I could have worked in the city but instead I found a job as a production assistant at an animation studio 20 minutes from my house (in b/t where I lived and the city). It ended up that I actually was working for a company that was linked to 20th Century Fox and that's where my checks came from- I was a 20th employee all the way in the suburbs of NYC! I worked on Ice Age for a bit and Robots at the beginning. I learned so much! I decided as interesting as it was, I wanted to go back to teaching -(a job I just left!)
    WellCoach

Answer by WellCoach at 7:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• PART 2!
    ANYWAY, I guess what I am saying is "THINK OUT OF THE BOX". I know you probably feel like there is no way of doing what you want, but I think there is. I looked on the net and found this link http://www.topsecretproductions.com/tsplinks.html. It is a Christian film company (which are becoming increasingly popular-20th Century is I think starting their own) There is a guy named Mitch Robbins who is a director in Houston and his info is on the site. There is also a link to different movies being filmed and there are some being done in Houston. This guy is based there. At least if you got a job around where you live you could get your feet wet and see if you like it. Then, if you did, you would at least have experience and knowledge if you wanted to move to LA or NY. I would also check with Houston City Hall. They probably have a movie production department that handles permits etc. Good luck and let me know if you get a job!
    WellCoach