Sugar in the morning?

We feed our kids very healthy foods. We do not keep candy or sugary treats in the house. The one thing we do have is popsicles. They are real fruit pops. For breakfast I give my kids whole wheat toast and eggs or fruit or yogurt. Healthy foods. Sometimes between breakfast and lunch I let my kids have a fruit pop. My husband hates this. He thinks it is too early to eat 'sugar'. I think it is better to let them have sugary foods earlier in the day when they can burn off that energy. Am I wrong?

BetcCarter

Asked by BetcCarter at 12:08 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Ya know what you should do give them twinkies and let them dip it in soda
    manda_42

Answer by manda_42 at 11:36 PM on May. 21, 2011

• The fruit pop, unless you make it yourself, probably has sugar in it. I dont think I would give it to them even when you are, I would save it for an after dinner dessert, or if its hot out, after lunch, but not after breakfast. Maybe you can make your own and then they can still have them, but both you an your dh know its just all fruit.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:14 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I'm the same way. If my boys get anything sweet I usually try to make sure it's before 4pm so they can burn off the energy.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:21 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Yogurt probably has more sugar than the fruit pops.
    Anonymous

• I say give it to them I understand the whole sugar thing, Being a mother of 3 under 3 i would rather they burn the energy during the day instead of being hyped after dinner or right before their afternoon nap. My kids have an early start everyday so giving them a fruit pop at 1030 11am would be their afternoon really when they start their day at 630 7am
    manda_42

Answer by manda_42 at 12:40 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I really do not give my kids sugar before bedtime. I can see what you mean though.
    BetcCarter

Comment by BetcCarter (original poster) at 12:15 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Maybe, but yogurt also has calcium, protein, good fat, and animal protein in it.
    BetcCarter

Comment by BetcCarter (original poster) at 12:32 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Just had to add, that since yogurt (made with cows milk) It isnt considered a good fat, or "animal protien" isnt the healthiest( as it seems you are assuming) Animal fats are the bad ones.
    Anonymous

• I completely disagree with you:)
    BetcCarter

Comment by BetcCarter (original poster) at 12:53 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I dont see what the problem is? mostly everything has some degree of sugar in it, ask your husband would he rather you give them a HUGE piece of chocolate cake with some soda?

Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 2:15 PM on May. 21, 2011