Just HOW did Camping get the date?

My apologies for yet another "end of the world" post ... but have you wondered HOW he came up with May 21, 2011 as the "Judgment Day" date?

Well, here ya go. 

What makes him so sure that this year, this date of May 21 2011, will in fact be the date of the Rapture?

1. The number 5 equals “atonement”, the number 10 equals “completeness”, and the number 17 equals “heaven”.

2. Christ hung on the cross on April 1, 33 AD. The time between April 1, 33 AD and April 1, 2011 is 1,978 years.

3. If 1,978 is multiplied by 365.2422 days (the number of days in a solar year), the result is 722,449.

4. The time between April 1 and May 21 is 51 days.

5. 51 + 722,449 = 722,500.

6. (5 × 10 × 17)2 or (atonement × completeness × heaven)2 also equals 722,500. Thus, Camping concludes that 5 × 10 × 17 is telling us a “story from the time Christ made payment for our sins until we’re completely saved.”

(found on the following website: http://judgementday2011.com/)

When I read this to my DH, he glared at me and told me that I gave him a headache.

Okay, aside from the fact the man is a certifiable nutjob, HOW can ANYONE who has read the Bible even give this guy a first thought, let alone a second one?

Anyone else notice that there is a rather important part MISSING from this little prediction? I mean aside from common sense and reality. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's 6.05pm here and I'm all good as is everyone we know, no earthquakes to report :P.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 1:07 PM on May. 21, 2011

• It's 17:34pm here aha, so I guess I should be saying my goodbyes!! Those calculations are like pulling random numbers out of your head, shoving them on some paper and then saying well I will turn into a werewolf on the 30th June 2045.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 12:35 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Well, he's wrong again... 5 means grace, 10 is right meaning completeness, and 17 is 1 + 7 = 8 which means putting off the old man or new beginnings. Maybe he should consult with real prophets that actually know what they're doing. I'm sure they'll be quick to tell him that that's the one thing even we, Gods prophets, will never know.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:52 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I dont know but I agree with your husband. That gives me a headache.

Answer by gemgem at 12:29 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Christ didn't actually hang on the cross on April 1st ... it was April 3, but regardless, he's coming up with arbitrary variables under the guise of Biblical numerology, which he get's wrong straight off the bat, because 3 and 7 are also symbolic numbers for completeness. He also assumes that the rapture happens pre-tribulation - there is zero evidence in Scripture for this (for the rapture yes, but for the timing being "pre-tribulation," no)

My guess is that the people following him haven't actually read Scripture. They've just listened to his interpretation.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:37 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My son just told me it is supposed to happen at 6pm eastern time according to the internet. Yeah right, I am going out for my birthday. See ya.......
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 1:26 PM on May. 21, 2011

• yay it is the Zombie Apocalypse! :D LMAO
    Anonymous

• math is man made
    so is time
    its all hogwash
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 6:26 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Time isn't man made ... the measurement of time is man made

wink

-Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:55 PM on May. 21, 2011

• 17 does not mean Heaven 7 is completion and 10 I forgot at the moment
    One of the missing keys is he was using the gregorian calender not the Jewish Calender
    Christ died on a Fri not a wed and a chart I found it was April 25 33
    His math was all wrong
    Scripturally he is off base.
    Rapture does not happen before pre trib... that is correct. He is also thinking we will be raptured but there are many scriptures saying one will be left and another gone, another speaks of the righteous inheriting the earth ... meaning the wicked will not . I
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:12 AM on May. 22, 2011