How did you pick what you believe in?

I know most people were simply raised on their religion but some people werent. I was raised in a nondemonational church and when I was older I looked around at other things and did my research...I came to Christianity due to the simple fact that the Bible is one of the only religions to tell you the faults in main characters. And its basicly just asking you to be a good person. What about you and your family?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 12:25 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• ".I came to Christianity due to the simple fact that the Bible is one of the only religions to tell you the faults in main characters."

Actually, that is grossly incorrect.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:27 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I was born Catholic you can say. My mom went over into a Christian church and became born again and took me away from the Catholic church. As I got older I questions my own faith and practiced Wicca, studied Buddhism, and all kinds of beliefs. I attended seminary college as well. In the end I came back to the Catholic church because that was what fit for me.

Answer by gemgem at 12:28 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Christ chose me.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:28 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I didn't "choose" to believe in a religion. I didn't "choose" not to, to do so would be to believe something and willfully disregard it. I simply can not force myself to believe in any form of deity. Either you believe, or you do not.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:29 PM on May. 21, 2011

• And its basicly just asking you to be a good person.

And actually, this^^^ is grossly incorrect.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:29 PM on May. 21, 2011

• how is either reason 'grossly incorrect'? I am more than willing to be grossly incorrect in your eyes if it means I am going with my gut and mind. *shrugs* I don't need judgement of my own choice. And you do decide...you may not think you do, but you do. God gives you that ability although there is a lot of debate on that idea. I personally believe it.
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 12:35 PM on May. 21, 2011

• When I found out about the lies Id been taught growing up(I was 34 so it took a while for me to leave the pretty box)I went on a journey to find a path that I connected with and that brought me peace and joy.

Found it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:40 PM on May. 21, 2011

• E- that isn't what I said, but have fun placing words where they don't exist. That is the beauty of the interwebz, the others can *see* what I said.

OP- what is grossly incorrect is that the bible is not an anomaly, it is not singularly superior for teaching people to be "a good person". In fact, it teaches violence more often than compassion... If that's your take, you're entitled to it, but you're mistaken in the assessment that there are not even more compassionate, humble religious teachings that simply outweigh the bible in the "being good" department.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:42 PM on May. 21, 2011

• *that the bible is (please disregard the *not*)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:43 PM on May. 21, 2011

• The Mother Goddess called me home.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:43 PM on May. 21, 2011