When you get hurt by your kid...

my 2 almost 3 yr old has been into throwing things lately...This morning he threw a heavier toy and because I wasn't looking, I got hit in the face...right on the nose. No blood but it hurt pretty bad. Made me cry. He hid because he knew hed be in trouble. When he saw I was hurt and crying he hung his head and went to timeout. I went and checked to see if I was gonna have a bruise, no bruise. When I came back, he was sitting there silently crying. Which is not something he does. So I know he felt bad. But I did make him stay in time out for the rest of the 2 minutes. When he got up I said that hed hurt me and he cant throw things because I could get hurt again. He said sorry. But I am still thinking about it and wondering, did I cry because it hurt or because I was that mad at him? I didnt yell, I just started crying. I cant react to that kind of anger towards my son. How do you react when you get actually hurt by your kid(s)? Or just get angered?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 12:32 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you did the right thing. By crying and not saying anything, he could see that you were hurt and felt guilty. You can also tell him that anything he throws gets taken away from him. If he keeps it up, all toys will be put away until he can act like a good little boy.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:43 PM on May. 21, 2011

• It doesn't matter why you cried. It matters that you taught him to not throw things or someone can get hurt. You used your pain (whether physical or emotional) to teach him without hitting him. That's what being a good mom is about . Good for you!!!!
    Anonymous

• I feel you did the right thing and he knew he had hurt you and with him saying he was sorry tells me he realized he did something wrong you handled it properly by not yelling at him; time-out was OK and as long as he realized what he was wrong and that he won't do it again. It matters that you taught him to not throw things or someone can get hurt; and you used your pain (whether physical or emotional) to teach him without hitting him. That's what being a good mom is about . Good for you. God Bless
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:08 PM on May. 21, 2011

• :) Thanks girls! He's been really good since the accident and has even started rolling things on the ground instead of throwing lol I'm glad yelling did not have to come into play. He's a sweetheart and I know he would never ever hurt me on purpose. Love my lil dude!
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 2:45 PM on May. 21, 2011

• i have a friend who has a little boy and she tells her son that "mommy is a precious flower" lol she says it so often that he repeats it all the time, and he almost never acts rough with her... it cracks me up to see him rub her leg or arm and say "my mommy is a precious flower" lol
    julie.f

Answer by julie.f at 5:40 PM on May. 21, 2011

• That's a wonderful reaction, sometimes it hurts so bad getting hit in the face that my anger just rises and i have to leave the room.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:37 PM on May. 21, 2011