Anyone know of a good way to clean carpets "naturally"?

I am cleaning out a room to be my son's nursery and there are some cat stains (puke) on the carpet. I wanted to clean it anyways for him, but I don't want to use any harsh chemicals - both because I don't want anything like that in his room and b/c I have bad allergies. Anyways I found this online and was wondering if anyone has tried anything similar:

For a heavy duty carpet cleaner, mix 1/4 cup each of salt, borax and vinegar. Rub paste into carpet and leave for a few hours. Vacuum.

I don't want it to ruin my vacuum....if you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

JacksMama613

Asked by JacksMama613 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Health

• I boil vinegar and water and pour it onto the stain then scrub in and use the carpet shampooer to suck the water up. It works for just about every stain I've had.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I dont know natural ways I always rented a steam cleaner and used the pet stain remover along with the regular cleaning solution to clean my carpets.

Answer by gemgem at 5:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• i'll have to ask my mil but i know she just uses fabric softner and laundry soap in her steam cleaner and it makes the carpets look and smell really nice.....if you want to know i'll ask her how she dilutes it!!! good luck!!
    crystaleon81

Answer by crystaleon81 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2008