I have done it! I have started healthier eating habits! How do I get others to stop discouraging me?

It's been a week and I have actually already lost 8 pounds! I have been reading labels, measuring my food, limiting processed foods, drinking lots of water and watching those bad carbs (the whites). I have not had a soda or anything with refined sugar Since last Friday! I am proud of myself, but i am tired of co workers saying thing like "Are you SURE you don't want a donut?" or "How long is THIS going to last?" or "Come on, go out to lunch with us. Once isn't going to hurt." Maybe after a month or so, I'll be able to break my new habit once in awhile without going back to my old ways, but it's only been a week. So far I've been keeping my ground, but I wish they would be supportive instead of keeping asking me to leave my healthy choices.

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 12:53 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• After awhile theyll just stop asking. I have been practicing those eating habits all of my life. People never say much to me about it or try and tempt me. They know I always figure they are joking.
    Anonymous

• First of all, way to go! As far as how to stop them, other than explaining you are on a new diet plan...you probably cannot:( I have found the more I tell people I cannot eat certain things the more likely it is that they will offer it to me!
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 12:55 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Just smile and say no thank you. Secretly know that you are making better choices and your butt is shrinking and theirs are getting bigger.

Way to go Momma!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:56 PM on May. 21, 2011

• They are use to you always joining in so thats why they are use to asking you to also. Eventually it will stop.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:57 PM on May. 21, 2011

• sometimes people get jealous when someone around them is trying to better themselves in any way, shape or form. i had a lot of the same negativity (mostly from my inlaws) when i quit smoking 4 weeks ago. sure, i had tried it several times without success, but this last time i knew i'd succeed. 4 weeks is the longest i've gone in 9 years (with the exception of my pregnancies) so all those debbie-downers can shove it! best thing to do for now is to let the comments roll off, and take it as a bigger motivator to your new lifestyle. congrats! oh, and it is okay to treat yourself here and there, don't forget that :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:57 PM on May. 21, 2011

• tell them to support you in your decision
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:58 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Just ignore the remarks. They'll change very quickly to compliments! They may not mean anything by it, or they may be jealous because they lack the willpower to accomplish such a drastic change. Congrats on your loss already! Good luck!
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 12:59 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Ignore them. You're doing awesome mama!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 1:05 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Great job, first of all!! You're doing everything right (just make sure you don't go below 1200 calories a day). As for other people, you CAN'T change them. All you can do is take those remarks and use them to strengthen your resolve to make this work. You can teach them, too. Start saying to them, "Did you know that donut has about 300 calories in it? That would take me 40 minutes on the elliptical to burn off! No thanks!" You might even get them to stop eating the junk if you throw that stuff in their faces (and they'll definitely be too annoyed to ask next time! LOL). Do your homework, and start teaching people if it'll annoy them into leaving you alone! Do you have anyone who IS supportive? Make sure you keep them on speed dial if one of those remarks get you down. You can always rely on us CafeMoms to keep you motivated, too! =) Good luck! You're off to a great start!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:54 PM on May. 21, 2011

• One of the first things I realized as soon as I got healthy and lost weight was how those around me, consciously or not, were trying to sabotage my efforts. My MIL still to this day - 12 years after I lost 75 pounds, greets me at her door with a candy bar in hand and tries to pressure me to eat it. With some people, I'm sure it's pure jealousy, with others, well, I have found that people like to keep a certain image of you and if you change that image, it sets people off.

Congrats to you and keep doing whatever it is you need to do to meet your goal. I applaud your efforts and am here to say "Great Job". Don't let a bunch of bozos deter you! You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous