What would you do if you noticed your dd gaining weight and getting chubby?

I would assume most parents would just adjust the kids eatting, and keep them active....sounds normal right? not make a big deal out of it, but cut out the junk type thing.
I know a lady who mentions her dd had been packing on the pounds latly, yet, I see pics she posts on fb of her drinking soda and eatting chips, and whenever I see her she is taking her out and gives into every little demand like " im hungry lets get some fries" the mom " ok'

Sure feed your kid the way you want but dont complain to me that she is getting fat and you 'have no idea why"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on May. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have seen a lot of people do this to their children. One family I know would give their youngest candy bars every 30 minutes...now she is an overweight teen...surprise surprise...So sad.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 1:01 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Unless a child is severely overweight I dont see myself pushing a diet or anything on my children. I always keep them active in sports, and try to feed them right. At the same time I dont have a stick up my ass and deny them small things like fries from time to time. You can find a balance for your children without being a food nazi. I think what is more a problem today is parents who dont encourage outside play, after school sports and things like that. They just assume feeding their kids right will manage their weight, and that is not true. They have to be active.

Answer by gemgem at 1:03 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I would weed out the junk food and soda's and only let them have them on "special occasions" but I'm also not going to tell my dd that I think she's getting chunky because I don't want her to be self conscious about her appearance. Maybe its something the whole family needs to work on and not just her. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 1:03 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My dad did it to me. Obviously facebook wasn't around back then, but he was mentally abusive to me about my weight. I was on the grapefruit juice diet at 9. He was overweight himself - his own mother was 500 lbs. He used to always taunt me with turning into her.

My 9 year old is a bit on the chubby side. We eat healthy, rarely eat fast food, he's not allowed soda except for eating out or special occasions. It's not always the houses serving chicken nuggets and fries every night that wind up with kids who aren't thin. I'm helping him by not mentioning his weight, but making sure he eats plenty of veggies, wait 20 minutes after eating to get seconds, and keeping him active. He's a big eater who has 2 parents who are/were overweight. Genes do factor but I believe it's more nurture than nature.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:06 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I always wondered how a kid got fat so young until my cousin had a baby. omg, the baby is 2 months younger than my son whos 18mos, she doesn't weigh too much, YET but her mom gives her mcdonalds chicken nuggets whenever they do dinner, they never make anything fresh, always processed, they give her soda and ice cream on a regular basis just to make her happpy. ANd dont get me wrong all babies have t5hat chuinky baby fat, but she's getting chunky like, not baby chunky, like fat. I know it's bad, and I make sure my son eats healthy, I keep him active,play groups, lil kickers, park etc, its a lifestyle
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:10 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Just had a version of this conversation with hubs. Youngest child (6) is definitely gaining weight especially around his middle. I've mentioned to hubs before that WE need to control the amount of junk he eats. So, this morning on the way to the baseball games they tell me they've had besides breakfast-Popsicle, candy bar, and cookies. WTH. We get home and I search the man cave and there is such an enormous amount of junk food stash I almost had a coronary looking at it. All I could say in that moment was STOP STOP STOP feeding him junk. I was in shock.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:26 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I totally hear ya!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 2:55 PM on May. 21, 2011