Ok it really pisses me off when 1. people don't do their job. 2. lie. 3. try to beat the system

i'm a cashier at a grocery store. last night at around 11 this guy comes in with a wic check for 1 gallon of whole milk and a loaf of bread. well he comes through with 2%. i have wic, i know that there are some checks that say 1%,2% or skim, and the others say whole. it depends on the childs age. but the fact is you have to get what it says on the check. i look at the check, look at the milk and politely say "sir your check is for whole milk" he gets pissed off and says "i've always been able to get 2%" i said "i'm sorry, i guess whoever was ringing you through wasn't looking at the check. substitutions aren't allowed, i'm gonna call my supervisor over" so i page her, she comes over and i say, "the check says whole, that means he has to get whole right?" she said "yup, you need whole milk" then he gets really pissed off and says "give me back my check, i'll come back for the 2% when you're not here" and storms off....ok seriously someone either wasn't doing their job or he was lying. either way he was trying to beat the system and that's not cool. the state is paying to help you so get what you're allowed to get and be grateful for it...rant over

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Shopping

• I had wic but I only needed it for the formula. I could not breast feed do to health issues. But I never tried to do anything like that, I was greatful for the help!
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 1:41 PM on May. 21, 2011

• hun you don't need to explain why you didn't bf. be proud of formula feeding
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:43 PM on May. 21, 2011

• i don't see that as the guy trying to beat the system. i see that as a guy who probably was getting 2% before and was misinformed somehow. either previous cashiers did ring up 2% milk on a check written for whole, or his checks were recently changed to whole and he didn't read it properly.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:44 PM on May. 21, 2011

• So, I guess he's got a few favorite cashiers that don't really care about the rules. If your kid needs whole milk, that's what you need to buy. It's sad that he is not putting his child's needs first.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:45 PM on May. 21, 2011

• why would it possibly matter what the fat content of the milk is. What if your lactose intolerant and need to get soy or lactaid? Its not always about beating the system, sometimes its just a matter of people picking their battles.
    ______

If the child didn't need milk, the WIC agency wouldn't have put milk on the check. The WIC agency does things for a reason. It's not to be at the whim of the person who receives the check to change things. Actually, if a cashier is letting them get 2% and not the whole, the Cashier is NOT doing their job. WIC is paying for the milk, not the person who recieves it. They should get what they are paying for.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:47 PM on May. 21, 2011

• i worked at a grocery store many moons ago, and all kinds of misinformed people would grace me with their presence. then they would become belligerent with me when i would explain the facts to them, and pull "the customer is always right" bullshit of a card. i agree this guy was rude but i think it was an honest mistake. i was once a recipient of wic, and a couple of years back before they specified 1% or 2%, i tried to get 2% and the cashier was the idiot who told me i couldn't get it (even though on the back it said lowfat = 1 or 2%) so people do make mistakes at times, and i had successfully been given 2% several times at that very same store numerous times.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:51 PM on May. 21, 2011

• The wic agency does do check ups in the office as well if I remember right. hey used to ask for her immunization information and weigh her as well. But it has been 11 years since I have been in the wic office.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 1:52 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Yeah, I hate it when people try to cheat the system especially when they are getting handouts!
    Anonymous

• oh yes when your getting something like that for free you need to abide by what the rules are and enjoy the free stuff while you can because you don't get wic forever
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:08 PM on May. 21, 2011

• The people at WIC are a bunch of idiots. They realy should just let you get whatever milk you like to give your kid, not insist on the most fattening type just cause the kid is under 2. Animal fats are not good for people, and neither is milk. And ya all wonder why americans are so overweight....
    Anonymous