Am I the only one that finds it sad?

I don't personally know anyone (IRL) that actually believed today would be the end of the world. BUT, I do know many, many people who do believe that the rapture will happen in their life time.

All over the place I see people making jokes about today being the end, not because of how it was predicted to end, but because it was assigned a specific date. Does anyone else think this is sad? So many people actually believe they will poof out of existence someday, leaving behind the rest of us to be tortured for five months. It's so far out of the realm of reality, and yet perfectly acceptable to believe.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 1:57 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I dont find it sad. I believe in Jesus and do believe some day we will have a judgment day I just dont think it was today. I also joked around about today because I have a sense of humor. I think it is more sad someone would feel "sad" for me. I am not sad, and can care less if you think I am right or wrong about my personal beliefs.
    Anonymous

• It's not hard to convince people of something. Look at Jim Jones and Guyana, now I know that most of them did not intend to die, but they believed him enough to move away from their families. Look at the Heaven's Gate cult. I think what is so sad is that sometimes people are wanting to be a part of a family so bad, they are led blind into something like that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:02 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Yes it is sad. People having last meals with families, quitting jobs, depleting savings.
    We do not know when it will happen or even if it will in our lifetime but I see no reason to stop my life...best to keep living as we have been, (try our best to live a good life)
    Stressing over this is sad.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:02 PM on May. 21, 2011

• eh..its not sad to me. its(the rapture-theory) their belief. i'm not offended by it, no more than any person who doesn't believe in Heaven/Hell offends me either. people are entitled to what they personally believe in. per my beliefs, i find it sad that, if things go as i believe, some people who mock or completely deny my God, will never know the eternal joy i hope for. i find it sad that so many people think this life is all there is, and after death, there's nothing. i find it sad that so many people forget to enjoy THIS LIFE, per whatever belief they hold.
    i choose life, myself. and whatever happens afterward, happens.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:02 PM on May. 21, 2011

• The only difference between those who believed the rapture would occur today, and mainstream christians, is that the discrepency over the date.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:03 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I personally think this is all a bit funny. . . I mean really who cares if it were the end of the world. . . the things you did or didn't do. . . who cares if today was the beginning of the end. . . it is guess what the end. . . and those who are freaked out or sad need to check in with reality cause today just aint that day. . .
    Anonymous

• It is sad but that doesn't mean that I feel for those people, they should have known better and had some sense.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 2:07 PM on May. 21, 2011

• It is sad. Sad that there are ppl we care about that will be left here when judgement day comes but today is not the day. The bible say no man knoweth the day not the hour. I fully believe we are living in the end times and the rapture will happen in my lifetime. If you read the book of revelations, all the signs are being fulfilled. Right now, I am bewaring my false profits who claim to know when the son of God will return. And as a believer I am not afraid to put my name on this unlike some "believers" that like to go anonymous
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:12 PM on May. 21, 2011

• nor*
    MamaStuart

• all the signs are being fulfilled. Right now, I am bewaring my false profits who claim to know when the son of God will return. And as a believer I am not afraid to put my name on this unlike some "believers" that like to go anonymous
    Answer by MamaStuart 16 minutes ago

***************************
    bewaring my false profits?
    PROPHETS. Profits is a business term.
    I truly think, and no offense here, that the "believers" are sheep and they do not stop to think abou the lack of intelligence or mental capacities of these guys like Camping in San Fracisco who come up with "Rapture" stories . THINK people! The Book of Revelations is only that: A BOOK. It was written thousands of years ago and they had as much credibilty then as this dude in San Francisco does now. NONE.Zero credibilty.
    Just fiction. Stop worrying! Live and love NOW, don't live with one foot in the hereafter!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:34 PM on May. 21, 2011