What do you do in your home?

When your kids hit one another? In our home the rule is: You Hit, You Sit. Timeout of course. After the timeout I have them do a small service for each other. Usually this means picking up toys, making the other person's bed, writing a note or drawing a picture. What do you do?

BetcCarter

Asked by BetcCarter at 2:34 PM on May. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• ehh depends...if im here, watching, seeing who is doing what it depends on the hit and reasoning. I know that sounds bad but thats just what I do. 90% of the time its timeout. But theres those other time when one will be in the others face picking and picking and they loose it.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 3:16 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My kids are only 3 and 20 months,,, if either hits, it's time out. Once they have sat their time, they have to walk over, say sorry and give hugs. They arent quiet old enough to do much else, I'm sure that once they are, I will do something a little more
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:37 PM on May. 21, 2011

• exactly how i feel! and most of the time it makes matters worse. my younger sister would just laugh at my parents when they would spank her and tell them it didn't hurt.
    pipsqueak01

Answer by pipsqueak01 at 3:10 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My kids are only 3 and 8 months. They have not purposely hit each other yet. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 4:20 PM on May. 21, 2011

• our little guy isn't here yet, but you hit you sit sounds like a good rule to us and making sure they realize why they are in trouble of course! i remember when i was younger my dad would have us stand in the corner or we would get spanked. i don't really like the whole spanking thing :(
    pipsqueak01

Answer by pipsqueak01 at 2:37 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Doesn't it seem counter-productive to spank a child for hitting? It does to me! I hate spanking and I find it is seldom effective.
    BetcCarter

Comment by BetcCarter (original poster) at 2:41 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Sounds like its working for you..
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:18 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I make my kids sit timeout and then when done i have a talk with them about what they did wrong and should have done instead and the have them apologize and hug one another.
    shsutterfield08

Answer by shsutterfield08 at 3:27 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I let my kids work it out themselves unless they've drawn blood or really get in to it and then they all get grounded. They are 5-10 years old.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:31 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Good point MommaWoods!
    BetcCarter

Comment by BetcCarter (original poster) at 3:49 PM on May. 21, 2011