Use yourself as an example?

If you or dh ever smoked pot, or did other drugs when you were younger, would you tell your kids, and use your experiences as an example of why not to do them?? If so, why, or why not.

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 2:41 PM on May. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I do use my past mistakes and experiences to show my kids what can happen. However I never use those experiences with them until they are older and I think it would benefit them to know about. I will also use their dad (for my oldest 3) as an example often. He walked out on them when they were little and was a drug addict. For years he had nothing and his life is a big lie and one great big rerun. You always know where things are going to end with him. It has helped my kids in some ways since my kids with him are now grown.

Answer by gemgem at 2:46 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I never did any drugs as a teen (or adult) but I did skip school alot. I am honestly not sure if I would use myself as an example. It could backfire...it would probably depend on my relationship with my teen and the situation.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 2:42 PM on May. 21, 2011

• my experiences are a prime example of why not to smoke it... so chances are yes i will use myself as an example. i don't know though as i still have many moons to go til that time comes lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:45 PM on May. 21, 2011

• yes. i will definitely be honest and frank about the uses and consequences of those things, per examples from our own stupidity. what better example than one you lived through and paid for (monetarily and experienced)?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:48 PM on May. 21, 2011

• my 1st husband was and is a pothead, kids know it and they know it is the reason he is who he is and why the marriage ended. I have told my kids that their dad got me to smoke with him but I also told them the truth and told them the way it made me feel and can't stand the stuff because I feel to far from reality and don't like that feeling. They get it because we have always been open and honest with eachother. my current husband even said he tried it just once and how it made him feel.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:52 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Yes. I hated that my Dad was never as honest with me as he was with my brother because I'm female. It would have made it a lot easier to trust him. Not to mention that we'd be a lot closer now. I myself always played it safe, but I know I have a few skeletons to share with my girls.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 2:54 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Ive done drugs but I did drink and fight a lot...I will use myself because then they know I am not just being a Mom, that Ive been there and already done that...
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 2:58 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I will not use any of my experiences as examples to my children.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:09 PM on May. 21, 2011