This is for all the moms who are teen moms or were teen moms

Did you get any help with your baby? I watch Teen mom with my daughters and have to tell them how unrealistic it is because when I was a teen mom my own mom did nothing for me, I had to BEG her to watch my baby for even an hour. And the girls I went to school with were also teen moms and they never had help either.
So on this show most of these girls are getting help with their babies so I am just curious how was or is it for you as a teen mom

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 2:46 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I agree times have changed. I was a teen mom with no help. Waking up at 4:30am to walk 1 mile to catch a 5:30am bus to get daughter to daycare by 7am so bus can pick me up from there and take me to highschool Full day of school then picking up from daycare only to drop her off at babysitter's and walk to work getting there at 5. Finding steady babysitting was more work than my job. Boss cared nothing about child labor laws so on a good night I was out of there by 1am. That's 3 hours sleep at the most. Oh and I also had to walk home from work every night at 1am because mom didn't have a car and buses weren't running at that hour.

If my daughter were to get pregnant as a teen, I would be more of a help to her. I would allow her to have a car and I would babysit on occasion. I do feel I learned a lot from my struggles, but I can't imagine my daughter going through the same thing.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:58 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I was 18 and if I could not get it myself then it did not happen.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:47 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I am 18 right now and pregnant. I am due in 5 weeks. I live on my own with my Fiance. I will have help from him when my son is first born but after about 2 weeks, he will have to go back to work and I will be doing it all on my own. My parents continue to assure me that they will help me out whenever I need them to, but I am CHOOSING to do this on my own. I want to be raising my child, not pawning him off on family member for them to raise him.
    People are different and deal with situations differently. There ARE some moms out there who wouldnt help their kid if they had a baby, and there are some out there who would, and other who would maybe try to help too much. It depends on the type of person they are. Just because your mom didnt help you and you know others who didnt recieve help doesnt mean that NO mothers help their daughters with their child.
    I do, however, think that people may act differently (cont..)
    lizjones

Answer by lizjones at 4:26 PM on May. 21, 2011

• (cont..) due to the fact that they are on television, but not everyone changes what they would do just because of a camera. I do beleive that many situations on 16 and Pregnant are realistic, but I think that the show Secret Life of an American Teenager is a bunch of crap espeically being a teenager and being pregnant, although I do see myself as much, much, more mature than people my age, but I am still going through being pregnant while taking care of school and all of the critisism. And the show Secret Life shows absolutely NOTHING about being a teen mom like it insinuated it would be in the beginning.
    But Im done ranting, thank you :]
    lizjones

Answer by lizjones at 4:31 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Oh, and as for "teens these days being spoiled and wouldnt be able to handle having kids".. thats crap too. You dont know how everyone's life is. I am and have always been the farthest thing from being spoiled or having it easy. But I know that I can care for my baby and that I am ready to do everything and anything that it takes to make sure I do a good job. So judging people based on age is really inaccurate.
    lizjones

Answer by lizjones at 4:33 PM on May. 21, 2011

• No. My situation is a little different though. I was 17 when I got pregnant but I got married 9 months earlier because we thought my mom was dying and I wanted to be married before she went. She is still alive but we were married non the less.

I did not have help from my mom or anyone else other than hubby. I was a SAHM and he worked to provide for us. We took care of everything for DD. My mom kept telling her friends that she had to do everything for DD when she was not even allowed to babysit AT ALL. I did not let my mom watch my DD for the first time until she was 18 months old and that was only because my BFF had gone into labor and I was her labor coach so I HAD to be there. We have a better relationship now so she watches the kiddos occationally when DH and I go out to dinner or whatever but as a teen mom...NO I REFUSED to let anyone else do anything for DD.

I did it, I still graduated and now I am in college.
    Anonymous

• Dont have sex dont get preg, have sex get preg and figure it all out on your own if you are MATURE enough to have sex you can raise a baby all by yourself i would not help out.
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 7:57 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Times have changed. I was a teen mom and my mom had moved to another state when I found out I was pregnant. Me and my now ex had to basically do everything on our own. We did have some help from my grandma and aunts, and his parents, but basically no, our dd was all on us. My own dd also was a teen mom. She had her baby in 2006. And like the show she had 110% help and support from me and her dad. We knew how hard it was going to be for her, and we wanted to make sure she finished school, and that our grandson had everything and more he needed. So again, I think it is just that times have changed.

Answer by gemgem at 2:48 PM on May. 21, 2011

• True times have changed and i know if my teen daughters got pregnant I would be giving them a little help here and there. Not just sitting around ignoring there's a baby in the house like my mom did.
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 2:58 PM on May. 21, 2011

• The teen mom school I went to had girls taking 3 different buses just to get their baby to daycare and then another bus to school. I really don't think today;s teens could do what we had to do back then. Teens today are just to spoiled and have it easy. I have 2 teen daughters and I can't imagine them having babies.
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 3:23 PM on May. 21, 2011