I just read the teen mom question...

And I had plenty of help from my family. I was almost 21 when I had my daughter, so I guess I was not a teen mom. But my Mom was there always watching my daughter so I could go to work and college.
My mom and I did everything together, it is how our family is... have a baby and it is the whole family's responsibility! Aunts, Uncles, and grandparents get involved.
My older sister was seventeen when she had my nephew and the whole family was still involved. I baby sat a few times while she went to work.
Well we just accept things for how they are and work on them together I guess. That is a family.

So my question is... Why would a mother turn her back on a child?

SeasideNative

Asked by SeasideNative at 2:58 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• I see both sides. I don't think a mother should ever turn their back on their child but you have to take into consideration that there are some young mothers (and in all fairness some older ones too) who don't step up and accept responsibility as a parent and just shove it off onto their parents. My mom loves being a grandma and helps me out a lot if I need someone to watch my daughter so I can take a class or when i had to go to training for work but it's not her job to raise my child because I wasn't ready to stop being one myself.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 3:12 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Its nice to have that family concern but not everyone gets it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:01 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Moms do it all the time. There are moms out there who dont care. My mom was one of them. To be fair, she asked me before she moved if I was pregnant and Iied and said I wasnt. But, there are still moms out there who dont care. You should watch 16 & Pregnant because about half of those girls dont have family support.

Answer by gemgem at 3:03 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I don't watch things like that. It bothers me.
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 3:04 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Well if you watched you would realize it does happen more than you might think.

Answer by gemgem at 3:05 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Well I lknow it happens. I just wonder how much of these women's stories of not having a mother's help is actually real.
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 3:06 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Well I can tell you mine was. My mom was always self centered though. I used to have to walk to and from work and it was about 2 miles up a hill (going down wasnt a big deal). That was before I ever got pregnant. She traded her car in for a two seater and told me it was so she didnt have to take me and my friends anywhere. She didnt want to be bothered. When she met my step dad I was 16 and she told me I couldnt move with her because I would only ruin things. So yea, there are crappy moms out there. Thankfully I learned what NOT to do from her and vowed to be completely different then she was.

Answer by gemgem at 3:08 PM on May. 21, 2011

• While who raised you? Like who did you live with?
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 3:13 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I agree with that Kayslay, currently my Husband and I own my own home outright . And I live 300 miles from my Mom. But I call her like once a week and talk though. But none of what I have now wouldn't of been possible had my Mom not helped me. And help ing me by watching my daughter so I could finish school.
    In fact I will be moving to Norway in four toi five years. My Mom will of course still be in California.
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 3:16 PM on May. 21, 2011

• maybe the mother gave the daughter a warning.. she probably knew her daughter was screwing around and told her "when this happens, i will no longer help you." i can understand
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:24 PM on May. 21, 2011