What would be a good age to start working with your children dealing with alphabets, numbers, colors, etc...

survivormama10

Asked by survivormama10 at 3:05 PM on May. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• A day old? I had been reading to my oldest since she was in my stomach and she knew her alphabet, numbers and colors before entering preschool. It's never too early.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:07 PM on May. 21, 2011

• one.... my daughter counts in english and spanish. she knows colors and her abc plus a whole lot more.. my son can also count but only in english he sings his abc and knows some colors.. You singing with the baby helps the baby learn u can march and count which helps or clap and count theres a lot of stuff you can do at a young age
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 3:07 PM on May. 21, 2011

• It's never every too early, my son at 18 months could count to ten, knew basic colors, and basic shapes, now at three he knows his abc, most by shape as wlll and numbers 1-9 by shape, he mixes up 6 and 9 sometimes, we are working on letter reconganizen and sounds. As long as you make it fun they will learn.
    Codragonfly

Answer by Codragonfly at 3:08 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I started with my grandchildren when they were big enough to sit up in the outdoor swing. I would push them and sing the alphabet song; we would count to ten; and we would talk about what color things were in the yard. We have a not-quite three year old who can say the complete alphabet, knows all his colors, and can count into the teens.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:08 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Colors and numbers can be started at age 1- 1/2. Alphabet can be easily introduced at 2. Age 3 and 4, kids can usually trace letters. This is all very choppy and rudimentary, though.

By age 5, your child should be able to write his/her name, know colors, count to 20 . . . this is very doable if you work on it with him/her.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:09 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I agree with Imogine... Never too early to start. My dd knew all of those before she was 2 1/2. I knew a little girl who was tying her shoes at 2 1/2! Never too early to start working with them :)
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 3:09 PM on May. 21, 2011

• As soon as they are old enough to listen! My DD is 3 and has been able to count and sayt he alphabet since she was 12-28 months. At 3 she knows all her colors, shapes, numbers to 20 in English and Spanish, is starting on letter sounds and can writer her name... The earlier you start the better. And you don't need flash cards or anything just toys. Blocks with letters, songs, and pointing things.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:10 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I have been working with my son since he was about 18 months. Sure I'd sing the alphabet, point to colors, count before then, but really started working with him at 18 months. My dd was about 1 because I was already working with her big brother.... She is 20 months and can count to 8 with out getting mixed up, she knows about 10 colors, basic shapes, can say some of the alphabet, she is very smart. Ds can count to 15, recognizes numbers up to 10, says his alphabet, and can recognize most, knows him colors, shapes, and can draw most shapes too... Make it fun. I got flash cards, cut out big shapes, ordered some things from a school website, coloring books, and when we play outside with chalk... I use it as a learning experience too
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:10 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I started with my dd when she was first born. Now I know she didn't understand. But everytime I dressed her I would say the colors of the clothes I was putting on her. I sang the alphabet song to her. I counted things we put away, bought, ate, and all that. I pointed out body partts. By 2 she could count to 100, say and recognize her alphabet, she knew most of her colors, and more body parts than I can even think of now. She was reading by four. Now at 8 she is reading above a high school level.

In other words...it is never to early to start.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 3:15 PM on May. 21, 2011

• a couple of months old. as soon as i could get a reaction out of my son i did..probably
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:17 PM on May. 21, 2011