How to cope with a crying baby.

im 19 and my daughter is 18 days old. the past four days she is inconsolible from about 9pm until 12am. now she has another time of this between 10am and 12pm. the rest of the day and night shes fine. but because of this i dont sleep. and im doing it on my own so i cant just take a break. what do i do and what could be causing this? nothing i does works.

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 3:31 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She could have colic or she could have broken something during birth. (unlikely). You need sleep...does it help to put her in the baby bjorn, keeping her near you? Could be belly issues too. I know it's hard. My son had colic for 8 months.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:33 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I had the same problem, I know this may sound unconventional, but the pediatrician assured me it was fine. Here's what I did, I turned on the vacuum cleaner and left it on so she'd calm down. White noise was all that worked. Just don't keep the vacuum next to her.You could also try a snowy channel on the TV that makes the same kind of noise. Also, she loved a car ride. Good luck, and please trust everyone on here that says that this is completely normal. You are not alone and before you know it you'll be advising a new mom on the very same topic and then some ;) Best of luck. Oh, and by the way, I had a really clean carpet ;p
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 3:53 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Sometimes nursing can help. Or it could be gas. Try pumping her legs gently (pushing them up towards her head while she's lying on her back) That can expel gas and it shouldn't hurt her! (just make sure to have a diaper on her first, I made that mistake before!)
    Joylynn77

Answer by Joylynn77 at 3:55 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I would try a few things. 1 gas drops. Mylicon at every meal is a miracle cure sometimes and even if it isn't a cure it isn't hurting anything either. Nursing on demand even if it means every few hours all night long... at least for the first couple of months. Co-sleeping. Some babies need more snuggle time than others. Just because you co-sleep now doesn't mean you have to still be co-sleeping in 3 months, or 3 years. I co-slept with my tiny tears for the first 6 weeks of her life at night and through some naps. She is 3 now and has been in her own bed for all sleeping since she was about 4-5 months old.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:24 PM on May. 21, 2011

• are you breastfeeding? could it be something youre eating/drinking at the same time each day/night thats getting to her? my doc said i could have one cup of coffee a day, so i did. then when my son was fussy and wouldnt sleep from 8-11pm, i tracked it 12hrs back to realize it was my cup of coffee that was getting to him, so i stopped.

and i agree with but_mommie, we use gas drops too. but we get fred meyer/kroger brand because theyre $10 less per box than mylicon and they seem to do the trick.

good luck, hope you both get some sleep :)
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 7:53 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Patience and prayer
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:18 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Hold her more during the day, even when she is happy. Try a sling or moby wrap or other soft carrier so you have your hands free. Babies who are held more, cry less, there have been studies that show this.

It is really common for baby to get really fussy at around 2-3 weeks old. Hang in there, it will get better!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:53 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I agree with all the other advice posted above... also, don't be afraid to ask a friend to come over to hold your baby for a while so you can take a shower and a nap. when you are rested things don't seem nearly so bad.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:07 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My LO would do this at night also...when I tried to put her down. My mom helped a lot the first week because I think her energy was calmer and less frustrated than mine....energy is a powerful thing! If you are the least bit upset....it transfers and makes them feel uneasy and probably unsafe. Make sure you are calm....sing or do whatever you need to to make yourself relax.

Later, I found that if I laid down with her to get her to sleep then put her into her crib it was MUCH better. It took a lot of nights of crying (both of us) to learn this. Sometimes they just want to snuggle :) Gas drops are also a wonderful thing as is Colic Relief spray (tastes like water spray into mouth) found at Vitamin Store.
    siren77

Answer by siren77 at 10:04 AM on May. 24, 2011