What are the best ways to introduce your pets to the new baby?

we've been wearing nothing but baby lotion to get our boys use to the smell.
play sounds of babies crying off youtube.
planning on letting them smell some blankets he was wrapped in before bringing him home.

what worked for you guys?!

pipsqueak01

Asked by pipsqueak01 at 3:33 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Pets

• those are good ideas, keep them separated at first. also call the vet tech to see if there are tips you're missing...or the humane society.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:34 PM on May. 21, 2011

• true didn't think of that one! thanks :]

and of course never letting them alone together until he's older.
    pipsqueak01

Comment by pipsqueak01 (original poster) at 3:37 PM on May. 21, 2011

• maybe leaving the car seat sitting in the floor. set up the baby swing or other things baby will use ahead of time so they will know that will be there too
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:37 PM on May. 21, 2011

• we have the crib up and their doing pretty good, they like to sleep under it. my 3 year old dog is very curious and tries to jump in it though. were working on him!
    pipsqueak01

Comment by pipsqueak01 (original poster) at 3:39 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Hi Pipsqueek -

Congratulations on your soon - to - be - new baby!

Sounds like you are on the right track with acclimating your dogs to the new arrival. In my experience it seems that family pets usually have an idea something is happening which is different - your pregnancy for one thing - as well as all the new stuff that has been set up and set around the house in preparation for the new arrival. Getting blankets that the baby has been wrapped in is a great idea to introduce the dogs to before the little one comes home. Although the dogs will be very curious I have discovered that allowing my pets to "smell" the baby when I brought them home and allowing them to be included really helped too. Getting your pets involved as soon as possible ensures that this little one will be one of the pack too! (Dog pack)
    SarahFarah

Answer by SarahFarah at 10:18 PM on May. 21, 2011

• you're doing everything right so far. My only other recommendation is to take diapers, wipes, baby powder and other things that smell like a baby and put them around the house. Let them sniff, lick and lay next to these items but if they try to put them in their mouth or play with them correct them and make them sit. This teaches them that this is a scent to be respected and puts your baby in the leadership role early on.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:05 PM on May. 22, 2011