Do you support or oppose the national trend of hospitals employing more physicians?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 3:34 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Thank you for the explanation.
    That is sort of like military hospitals...when I was expecting my first baby, I didn't know who would deliver my baby because they had a staff of OB doctors and you just got the one who was on duty at that time. I am not worried about this ---any doctor at a hospital has access to our records and I have never depended on just one family physician anyway. At the clinic I go to, there are several Doctors and I might see any one of them. I trust them all.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:58 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My doctor's office posted a notice not too long ago that they will no longer be admitting patients to the hospital. If patients need to be hospitalized from the doctor's office they have to go through the ER! I know some of them still have priviledges, but not all.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:44 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I'm totally used to seeing whatever doc anyway. Military is like that. We go to a clinic on post, and are seen on a team. But sometimes are seen on a different one. I do know some of the docs on the other team, I've been seen on that one enough. Anyway, we are used to seeing whoever. When we have to go to the hospital, it's for a specialty doc, and even then, most of the time we are seen of post anyway. So, I have seen a kazillian docs anyways. I guess if hospitals hired more docs, people would have less of a wait? I would hope so. Though, with my experience, that may not be the way it goes! Not a LOL, unfortunately.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:15 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Docs have to jump through a lot of hoops to get privileges at hospitals. They usually only go to select hospitals, and that limits where their patients can go. If there are hospitalists on staff at a hospital where a patient is admitted (and the patient's doc doesn't have privileges there), it's actually a good thing for continuity of care. The hospitalist can work with your PCP to provide the best care for you as a patient. Also, docs at hospital-owned clinics generally have more resources at their disposal, and are able to access that hospital system's records and xrays more quickly if they are a part of that system. Again, it can be a good thing for continuity of care. So I really don't see it as a bad thing at all. Every hospital I've worked at over the past 10 years has had hospitalists on staff. I actually was treated by a hospitalist when I had meningitis and my PCP didn't go to the hosp I was admitted to.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:22 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Hospitals are businesses, and they can staff how they like, I personally prefer consistently having the same doc who knows me...but that's why I go to a small clinic for non-emergency issues...just a few docs there that I know.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 6:17 PM on May. 21, 2011

• We haven't been in the ER many times but anytime we have we have never even had our Dr called. When my mom went in through the ER her Dr was called but by the Dr on call. He didn't show up that night. Not till the next day when he did his regular rounds.
    Only when I had my babies was I admitted and my Dr called. Had he not been available i would have had another Dr from the office.
    I don't see it as a problem. We all hope the Drs employed at the hospitals are "good" Drs. because it's hard to check out a Dr in an emergency.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:24 PM on May. 21, 2011

• The reason why hospitals are doing that is because of abuse. When a pt has Medicare Part A and B one is used to pay the hospital and the other is for out Pt and ambulatory services. Each person is allowed a certain amount of days under each plan. The physician ,other other hand , gets paid regardless. He may choose to keep the pt in for other procedures that can be done on an outpt basis , or can be provided by home care. The hhospital on the other hand, has to eat the cost and continue paying for insurance for the pt to be in the hhospital. The hhospital also has to pay for CNAs, extra nurses, and support staff. If the Dr. is employed by the hhospital , He wont get paid unless the hospital gets paid. It is actually self preservation.

emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 11:46 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Why not??? That 's where Physicians work...at HOSPITALS. Some have their own clinic offices too....
    they do work at hospitals.....what the heck? I don't understad your question.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:45 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Hospitals are hiring physicians to be on staff at the hospital 24/7. This means that your own family physician may not be able to give your orders in the hospital if you are admitted, but instead, you might have orders and such from the physician at the hospital. It's a growing national trend in hospitals. There are lots of articles if you Google it. Here is one:

http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/hospitals-are-employing-more-physicians-what-it-means-for-the-rest-of-us/

The hospitals in my area are now jumping on board.

m-avi

Comment by m-avi (original poster) at 3:51 PM on May. 21, 2011

• http://pinnaclehealthgroup.com/?p=323
    m-avi

Comment by m-avi (original poster) at 3:52 PM on May. 21, 2011