I need advice on work. those who have worked as a cashier and a waitress will probably be the best help

ok so i work at price chopper as of right now. when i was applying for jobs i applied to the friendly's where my uncle works but i ended up calling price chopper first and they hired me right away. i've been working there for 2 months now. i started off working 6 days a week. we just got the schedule for this week and i'm only working 3 days for a total of 15 hours!!! 15 hours is not enough. i was working almost 30. anyway a few weeks ago my boyfriend and i were at the uncles house (he's actually the boyfriends uncle but i call him my uncle too). anyway i mentions working at price chopper and he told me i should have applied at friendly's. i told him i did and he said "you should have told me, i would have pulled your application right there" i am starting to think to myself that i should call my uncle about the job because though it pays 5 dollars an hour instead of 8:25 (minimum wage i'm making now) there are tips to factor in. my uncle told me he goes home with about $100 a night in tips. i make about 200 a week at price chopper so that would be pretty incredible.
now for the advice part. i've only been working at PC for 2 months and it would not look good in the future that i left a job after 2 months and i mentioned to the manager in the interview that i did not intend on leaving any time soon.
i'll get benefits at PC after a year.
i don't know if i'll be a good waitress because i've never done it before and i know for a fact that i'm a good cashier.
i cannot have 2 jobs. i have a 10 month old and working 2 jobs would just be too much
there is a supervisor at PC, just one, who is the biggest cunt in the world and i've wanted to walk out several times just because of her but i have no problems with the other 5 supervisors or management
the tips you make at friendlys are not pooled together, what you make at your tables you go home with.
ok i've listed the pros and cons of both decisions and i'm just beyond torn. idk what to do. please give me advice. i know the decision is ultimately mine but i need help deciding

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• they may have just cut your hours for a short time so they cut fill in some new employees..with it being summer time all the highschool kids are leaving school, college kids are on break. they may be returning back for work and needing their hours back so maybe they had to find somewhere to fit them in the schedule. i would talk to the manager and ask why. maybe give the place another 2 wks before you make a move
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:53 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I work 2 waitress jobs and think I do well. One of the few jobs where you somewhat determine your paycheck. I recommend it for anyone who is a hard worker, team player, and can let rude comments from customers roll off you. You have good days and bad days but for me the good has always outweighed the bad. And now some laws are changing where if your tips don't equal minimum wage after a period of time, the employer has to pay the difference. I say go for the waitress job.

Also never ever ever ever leave one job before you for sure have another lined up.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 3:54 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I always worked as a waitress when we needed extra money and I am pretty good at it. I am a horrible cashier lol. I loved being a waitress the perks are yes instant money, so you kinda get that instant gratification everytime you clean a table and see a tip. I love being around people. I can sell anything to anyone so most ppl also always got drinks and dessert from me. For me, it worked.

Cons on waitressing it is can be stressful. If it is busy you usually are working4 or more tables at once. You have to be quick. You have to be able to memorize things very well. Your feet will hurt. You have to know you will have ungodly side work. There is usually competition. Waitresses fight for the best hours. You have to prove yourself to get the best hours. For me again, always worth it.

Answer by gemgem at 3:54 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Talk to your supervisor or who ever gives out the hours and ask if you will receive more hours in the future. That you were hired with the understanding that you would have a certain amount of hours (if that is the case). It's worth looking into this before making a change. It may be a one time problem that you won't face again. If you do end up leaving the reason would be not enough hours as promised. Benefits after a year is a good thing so think about it carefully before acting. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 3:56 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I would SO choose waitressing! I got $120 in tips over 4 days plus a $50 paycheck and I was only making $3.50 an hour! Just make sure you get a weekend and nightes every once in a while and that they dont schedule you for nothing but off hours......
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 4:06 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I make good money waitressing. As for leaving a job after 2 months, just don't mention it to future employers.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 4:07 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Check with your supervior at PC about why your hours were cut and if you will be gettng them back soon. I waitressed for years and never had benefits so that is a big big factor. I'd go with where I could make the most money for now. Give at least a 2-week notice at PC.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:30 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Just keep in mind that it's the summer. You are going to have less hours in the summer because high school and college kids are back at work. This always happened to me in the summer...then in fall and winter my hours were close to 40 hours a week some weeks.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:54 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I would do it. Why? Because the more jobs that you have experience in, the easier it will be to find a different job in the future.
    I worked as a cashier for many years, but now I live in the country, where there is one supermarket, and 6 restaurants.
    Anonymous

• Alright as far as leaving this job would look in the future the fact is that if your hours were cut and you needed full time work it will not look as bad as long as you had another job lined up. This is ulitimentaly your desions, I am sure as you are a caisher that you are good in customer service. You are use to being on your feet i think you can handle it. If you can handle to hours and they work with you it sound good, Yoy have to be able to deal with you income fluxating becasue sometimes your tips may be less then other times and that can be tough. Will the new job come with benfits? That must be considered as well. Whatever decision you make you must be able to keep it. Don't look back no regrets. Look at the pros and cons make a choice and stick to it.
    Codragonfly

Answer by Codragonfly at 10:40 PM on May. 21, 2011