What is your definition?

of coddling and have you ever been accused of it?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 3:59 PM on May. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• when my child was1 or 2 i was accused of it back handedly... one of our guy friends would always say "he's fine" Finally, i just looked at him in the eye and said, "dont say that to me anymore, please" My opinion is that I know what my children can and can not handle and it really pisses me off when others try to impose their opinion on me. Like when he was 2 and climbing a 6 foot tall play wall, i made my hubby stand there EVERYTIME even though he said that he has seen him do it all alone before. Once, i stood there for him, he fell off the side and i barely caught him, from then on i insisted that someone is directly behind him until he can do it consistantly w/out falling. I dont care if someone else thinks i am coddling, i know my kids. screw what other people think.
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 4:56 PM on May. 21, 2011

• To me it's a mix of being over-protective and over-indulgent with someone, usually your kids. My older daughter's friends have thought we were over-protective at times - usually when she used us as an excuse to not do something or go somewhere - as in to a party where there were no adults but plenty of booze. I don't mind being the scapegoat for her, I'm just glad she doesn't want to do those things. (c: As for coddling, I've not been accused of that, at least not to my face.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:02 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My definition is being over protective and overly pampering your child. Yes I have been accused of it. I am pretty protective of my children (grown and at home) and usually will go out of my way to make sure their lives are better then mine was when I was a child. I still have rules for them though, and they still will be told no. But if it something I want to do for them, or can do for them and think there is no harm in it I will do it. For instance if my dd and me are at the mall and she wants a new pair of boots she doesnt need & I have the money yes Ill get them for her. Another is my son refuses to go to college or work, so I refuse to help him. So you see I have balance in there.

Answer by gemgem at 4:07 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Over indulging and protective helicopter parenting..I've been rightly accused.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:19 PM on May. 21, 2011