Should parents be responsible for returning other kids' toys that their kid played with or took away?

My son has ride on toys that the neighborhood kids wanted to borrow or ride all the time as soon as he gets out of our house. Sometimes I have second thoughts on loaning it because most of the time, they would end up somewhere else (on the side of the road) or at the back of their house. My son does not know how to take it back and often asks me to get it back for him. What I do sometimes is to hide pricey toys that we don't want to lose if he'll have playmates inside his room.

filmom2ethan

Asked by filmom2ethan at 4:11 PM on May. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would have no problem telling the child the toys don't leave the room of our yard. I wouldn't let let them off my property.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:13 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I wouldn't loan toys anyway, they are your son's and the other kids can play with them at your house when they visit, but shouldn't ask to use them when he's not out playing.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:13 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My kids arent allowed to share pricey toys or bikes, or skateboards or anything like that.

Answer by gemgem at 4:20 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My lil BIL has the same problem. His parents own and rent the other half of a duplex and their nasty kids BROKE 3 of his bikes!!! i was so pissed for him! and they demanded them to give chuy new ones but they never got them to answer the door >.> And i DO NOT plan on letting my kids share their toys with other kids (besides friends on playdates, sleepovers etc) because other kids just DONT care nowadays about other peoples stuff. i know if i had destroyed something their parents would have smacked me and turned me over to my mom n she would have smacked me! and im only 20 so i am very very scared for the new generation......
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 4:29 PM on May. 21, 2011

• When my son was small, we had a ton of indoor & outdoor toys because he was an only child/grandchild and the family spoiled him accordingly. All the neighborhood kids would come to our house to play, and that was fine, but the rule was that nothing ever left the yard/driveway area and you took care of the toys while you played with them or you wouldn't be allowed to play. Anything that was special to our son was put up & away just for him to play with. Perhaps you need to set down some rules about your son's toys, too?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:31 PM on May. 21, 2011

• yup i agree, his toys dont leave your property, if they do then the toys dont get played with.
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 4:52 PM on May. 21, 2011