To little protein??

WE are very poor people lol. WE have cut back on the meat because that is the most expensive part of a meal. There are no seconds on meat ever. A serving is 1/2 a small chicken breast for the children a 1/2 a chicken breast for me and a whole one for DH. The other half is his lunch the next day. Normal day as far as foods go. Kids get a whole grain waffle in the morning with fruit or yogurt with fruit. I skip and have milk, it's cheaper if I skip it. For lunch we have either left overs if I made a big meal the night before or I make mac-&cheese with a veggie or spaghetti. Dinner is a small portion of meat a carb and a veggie. Fruits and veggies for snacks. Sometimes with PB to dip. I know I am eating poorly but what about my kids and DH. He is working and need to eat well and my kids are growing. I can do with out but what about them. Do I need to do something else? Oh and beans, cheese or lentils are our protein at lease 3 nights a week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Food & Drink

• No. You are doing the best you can.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:14 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Dried beans and lentils are very health, and very inexpensive, sources of protein. Meal is nutritionally unnecessary.

You can find a great listing of proteins here:  http://www.soystache.com/protein

Answer by rkoloms at 5:11 PM on May. 21, 2011

• You are eating a lot of protein filled foods. There's a ton of food that's not meat that contains proteins. I don't eat a lot of meat myself.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:44 PM on May. 21, 2011

• well the dairy has protien and you could buy the dry beans and learn a few recipes from some websites like cooks.com
    I have a husband who insists on meat with every meal and it gets hard. he went and spent our last $300 from savings on a side of beef just to be sure there was going to be meat but he does love a good bean soup
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:32 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Unless anyone in your family is anemic and needs more red meat, seems you're getting enough protein. I do eat meat, but sparingly, preferring to get my protein from beans. I would not get my main source of protein from dairy though. In fact, I limit dairy also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Eggs are a really good cheap protein - have breakfast for supper, or hard-boil some and have one along with breakfast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on May. 22, 2011