Would you consider this coddling?

your child is playing; falls down comes over to you crying you check them over--making sure nothing is broken and there is no significant bleeding, give them a hug, tell them they are fine and tell them to go back to playing?

Or is it the other extreme of not showing enough compassion?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 4:26 PM on May. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, that's not coddling, it's being a caring momma. Keep on doing what you're doing, kids need all the love they can get (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:28 PM on May. 21, 2011

• This is being a mom. It's not coddling and it's not neglect.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 4:28 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I don't feel it's coddling. I do that to all of my kids and my oldest is 15 (seriously, if he gets hurt I give him the once over make sure there are no bones sticking out where they aren't supposed to, ruffle is hair and tell him he's going to be fine). Coddling to me is making a big deal out of nothing, wrapping an arm when a band aid would do.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 4:33 PM on May. 21, 2011

• No, that's called being a parent. Coddlign is when they're 25 years old and you're still letting them live in your basement with no job.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 4:35 PM on May. 21, 2011

• That'd have to depend on the age of the child and if they were doing something they knew better than to do when they got hurt.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:31 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Good answer Imogine! ;-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 4:37 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Not coddling.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:37 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Thats not coddling. Thats being a responsible mother.

Answer by gemgem at 4:30 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I think it sounds reasonable. iId probably hold the child as long as they liked provided there was nothing else that needed my immediate attention.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 4:32 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I dont' think it's coddling, coddling would be making a HUGE deal out it and smothering them and not letting them learn to get over it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:43 PM on May. 21, 2011