Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about how child support is calculated

I am going through a divorce after being separated for quite a while. I have the girls full time- he only has them for 2 or 3 Saturday nights a month (he's enjoying the bachelor life all over again).
I am just wondering how child support will be calculated. He has a decent paying full-time job. I however, do not. I am a full time college student (and VERY proud of that- so please no bashing). My girls and I are supported by my wonderful boyfriend, who has done a great job being a father figure to them. He also works full time, and makes just $2/per hour less than my ex.
So, will they calculate the child support based on my monthly income of zero, or my boyfriend's income since he supports us? Thanks ladies! :-)

**If this helps at all, we are in Michigan**

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on May. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • Your, your boyfriend income has nothing to do with that since you are not married to him.
    mamaofficer

    Answer by mamaofficer at 5:01 PM on May. 21, 2011

  • In some states they will count your spouse's income under certain circumstances, but you aren't married ot him. They could go off your previous income or minimum wage or your actual income, depends on your state. You can all your local child support agency and ask any of these questions.
    camiam81

    Answer by camiam81 at 5:03 PM on May. 21, 2011

  • google "child support caclulators for ....." and fill in your state. it's based off of HIS income, how much you each pay for the childrens child care, insurance, and the amount of overnight visits they have with the ex, and i think thats all. i just went through the exact situation. the only thing is you may have to stand infront of a judge and explain who is taking care of household things financially but your new b/f's income has absolutly nothing with the amount of child support you'll get.
    julie.f

    Answer by julie.f at 5:09 PM on May. 21, 2011

  • Only your and your ex husbands income comes into play. Even if you were to marry your bf his income never matters. They will assign you minimum wage even if you are not working, and then look at ex's income. The combine it. They come up with an amount of total support, lets pretend its $800 a month. That is with both incomes. Lets now pretend your % of that $800 a month is 25%, he would be responsible for the remaining 75% of the $800. So they would deduct your 25% obligation and the remainder would be his child support.
    gemgem

    Answer by gemgem at 5:25 PM on May. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
Party ideas

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN