Anyone want to clarify/specify their faith/beliefs from generalizations?

I see judgements made on this site about Christians when there are so many different types. We can't generalize Muslims because there must be differences - suni, shi'ite, or Jews - orthodox, hasidic, or Athiest - reincarnation or fertilizer. I would like to clarify myself, but more than anything I'd like to learn...

Gotoyourmoms

Asked by Gotoyourmoms at 11:10 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a regular Christian raised in Non-denominational church. I believe in The father, son and Holy Spirit. I don't look down on other people because they aren't christian and I don't condemn them for it either. In other words I'm not those Christians that fight with the athiests constantly here on CM. I would just like others to know that all Christians aren't like that.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I'm a Christian. Raised by devout Roman Catholic parents but separated from the Church by a divorce. I'm in a good place with God -- but not with my Church. Have been exploring other Christian denominations this year . . . I love to think that we're all taking different paths to the same God -- the Universal, all-powerful Being who is there for all of us.
    Netdiva10

Answer by Netdiva10 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I'll start: I am a Christian, specifically a Catholic. Not a cradle Catholic, I made this choice as a young teen. My family is more towards assembly-type & pentecostal. I believe first of all in the Nicene Creed, that has explained Catholicism in a nutshell since the counsel at Nicea over 1000 years ago. I believe that Christians, Muslims and Jews worship the same God - the only difference is that I believe Jesus was the first coming and I'm waiting for the second (I think Jews are waiting for the first still, right?) I believe that Christians and Muslims both acknowledge Jesus and Mohammed historically, the difference is in the prophesy.  Cont...

Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 11:20 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Cont. Here are some misconseptions i would like to clear up about me: As a Catholic I do not worship saints. I do ask for intercessions though (St. Anthony please come down, something is lost that must be found). Generally, Catholics do not proselytize or go on TV and ask for money. I am divorced and still take communion. If i am on my deathbed my priest will come to me even if I have never gone to confession, which i don't, I confess to the Lord only and ask His forgiveness.  I also believe in evolution. I think God created the little amoebas we have evolved into. i am open to spiritual experiences that may surprise some athiests/pagans/wiccans because God's plan has not been fully revealed to me so who am i to say what's possible?  I will probably add more as this thread grows - i can't wait to learn!

Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 11:27 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I am just a Christian. We go to a non-denominational church and we feel the most at home there. Most of my family members are Lutheran but I wasn't raised that way.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I'm an atheist. I don't believe in a god...any god. I don't worship satan...I don't believe in satan. I don't believe in sin. I am a moral person (although, I'm pretty sure my morals are not the same as most Christians). I teach my kids right from wrong. That pretty much sums up my beliefs.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I am Catholic, and one of my biggest pet peeves is other Christian religions thinking Catholics are not Christian. HELLOOO! If I believe Jesus Christ is the son of God, then I am Christian, CHRIST = CHRISTian!!!!! And it is usually from people who think their particular brand of Christianity is better than everyone else's. I am so sick of the religious biggots. Can you tell I have encountered this numerous times? lol.
    Turtle207

Answer by Turtle207 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• As a Christian, I agree there are tons of generalizations. Actually I'm ok with it. imo, it's more on the person making them than on me. I can't speak for others, I can only speak for myself and my beliefs and be myself. Generalizations use to bother me but I hope that if people take the time and actually get to know me for me and not dislike me because of my beliefs, respect my beliefs (even if they do not like or agree with them) then slowly and surely the generalizations will fade.

With that said, unfortunately for many those generalizations are true. It's all they've ever known/seen from Christians. And that's heartbreaking to me :(
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 1:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I will also add that some generalizations made are a true and good, they're bad to those who don't believe but they are also things I will not appologize for in my beliefs.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 1:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Okay pwfaith, so noted. anything you want to share about your faith?
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 2:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2008