Do you stop your kids from eating something just because you don't cook or eat it?

I was raised on the Gulf Coast in Florida. Seafood is a must at least once a week. So one weekend I was cooking Seafood Pasta (Olive Garden recipe), and my nephew wanted some. I do not like to eat around kids and they not eat so I called his mom. She almost had a heart attack on the phone telling me that she hates seafood and that shrimp look like giant roaches! My whole mood was trashed so I finished cooking and made him and all of my children something else to eat so he won't feel left out. So I ask :

"Do you stop your kids froom eating something just because you don't cook or eat it?"

BillieHolidae

Asked by BillieHolidae at 5:08 PM on May. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not at someone elses house I dont. I dont cook food I dont like though.

Answer by gemgem at 5:09 PM on May. 21, 2011

• How incredibly rude of his mom! No, I encourage my kids to try new things.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:11 PM on May. 21, 2011

• nope! my son can eat what ever he pleases as long as there is absolutely no dairy in it! ( hes allergic to all dairy products)
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 5:11 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I don't care if it's something I don't like. What does it matter? That was very rude.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 5:14 PM on May. 21, 2011

• That was actually rude. Its her kid at your house. Unless hes allergic theres no reason for him not to try it at least! Sounds like my mom. I grew up *HATING* Miracle whip, spicy food and several other things just because my mom said "we" dont like them. when i tried them later on im like, WTFritz?!?! WHYYYYY didnt u let me have this!??!

And by the way, i LOVE shrimp. Any time you wanna make that again send some my way lol.
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 5:37 PM on May. 21, 2011

• That's strange. I don't eat lettuce, but my kids love salad. Why would I keep them from eating a salad just because I'm not having any? I wouldn't have bothered even calling her.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:37 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I had a friend who would drop her kids off with me and I would feed them tuna pasta salad with peas and she would tell me they don't eat peas because they are gross and I would tell her they loved the salad. and she would tell me they still hate peas and were only being polite and then she would insist they will only eat Kraft mac-n-cheese and so I would feed them store name stuff and they liked it the same and she would tell me I was lying! oh and my husband can come into the kitchen and start putting down the food that I am cooking. people are just rude sometimes.
    Anonymous

• I agree with all of you. I know he does not have any know allergies plus he eats fried fish and she does too now that i think about it! Crazy my husband and I are from two different worlds. I have a father from St. Thomas and my mother is European, Waccamaw American Indian and South African sooo I love lots of food. If I can't cook it for my kids and husband I find out how. Which does not happen often but I like to be open minded. Thanks ladies for your thoughts.
    BillieHolidae

Comment by BillieHolidae (original poster) at 5:46 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I do not stop them from trying things if they want to....My mother in law cooks weird things 'to me' and she will tell me that my kids tried or didnt try it..when my son was about 1 1/2 i think old enough to not be on baby food, she cut up Brussels sprouts and gave him a little bite....he threw up on her...lol i guess he doesnt like it.... she still talks about that.... When I cook things I put all what i cook on the plate and they sometimes eat it all and sometimes they dont... the same at relatives house...
    mamaevans2

Answer by mamaevans2 at 7:25 PM on May. 21, 2011

• No, if there at a friends house for dinner, they will eat what is served...unless it's seafood, sorry :( But, I'm allergic to shellfish and would worry about a potential allergy in my children.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:06 PM on May. 21, 2011