Weight loss???

Why is it I diet for about three weeks with no weight loss? Get frustrated and quit. About 2 weeks later I gain only 1 lb. I cut calories, exercise, eat small portions and lose nothing. Then not watch what I eat or even exercise and gain 1 lb. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it wasn't more. It just doesn't make sense.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You have to burn more calories than you consume. Also, if you "diet" you are probably not eating enough calories for your BMR so you go into starvation mode...you have to eat the right balance of macronutrients, as well as have the exercise to go with it.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 5:15 PM on May. 21, 2011

• that kind of happens to me but when i do diet, i gain a pound before i lose anything. I'd eat lettuce with fat free french dressing and eat a small dinner, i'd practically starve myself and there would be no progress but your body could be what my body is doing which is holding in every bit of salt you consume and you'd stay the same or gain a pound. watch your salt intake, that bottled dressing is not good for you, see how you like it when you mix 1 tablespoon salad dressing (cheap knock off of mayo but not as strong as mayo), about 1/4 cup milk and 1-2 Tablespoons of sugar.

Cut the salt and you should see it melt off
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:26 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Are you cutting too much? Don't expect huge results, but you should definitely have some difference over 3 weeks. Time to try something different! Have you tried eating clean? It's all about eliminating processed foods and eating real, whole foods. I've lost over 60 lbs over the last year or so eating clean and running. I have struggled with my weight for a long time, and this is the one thing that seems to be working for me, plus, I can stick to it for the long term (as in, the rest of my life). I hope this helps! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:31 PM on May. 21, 2011

• For me, it took 2 or 3 weeks before the weight dropped off. I went to the doctor on a Friday I'd gained half a pound. The next Monday I went back and I'd dropped seven. I think sometimes it takes your body a little bit to realize that it can start using the reserves (fat) and that you actually aren't trying to starve yourself to death. Keep at it. This time for a little bit longer. If it helps think of it as a marathon not a sprint. Weight loss unfortunately does not happen over night.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:08 PM on May. 22, 2011

• You can't be cutting the calories if you are not losing weight. Cut your meals in half, eat mostly what you normally eat but half of it. No dessert unless it's calorie free especially if you love sweets. Eat fruit or veggies for snacks. Try 5 small meals a day. I have started making a huge fruit salad and keeping it in the fridge for when I get hungry between meals. Grapes, strawberries, blackberries melon and whatever else you like. I eat yogart or cottage cheese and jelly for breakfast. Try eating things that you will be able to keep the calorie count. 80 calorie yogurt, 100 calorie pack snacks etc. I lost 15 lbs the first month and am still losing though more slowly now and I;m not exercising either. If you add exercise you will lose faster.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:44 PM on May. 22, 2011