At home leg waxing. advice, tips, tricks. recommendations, and warnings!

I really want to get my legs waxed but I know I can't afford to go get it done so I'm considering trying at home. so if you have done it or know anything about waxing i have some questions and am seeking some advice, tips and tricks!!

what brands have you tried, and would you recommend or NOT recommend?
have you done at home AND gone to get it done by a pro? does doing it at home works as well?
i have very light skin and very dark hair. after i shave you can still see a little bit of hair under my skin... will waxing help that issue?
how long did it last for you?
how can i make sure to have the best experience? meaning... what should i do/not do to make sure i get all the hair the first time, and which brands are best.
also, I'm trying to get my legs really tan this summer, and i know shaving exfloliates so it is hard to keep them tan. does waxing have a simliar effect?
thanks ladies!!!

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:30 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• No idea but here's a bump! I'm curious too.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 5:47 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I do it all the time. The soft spots are gonna be the knees and the tops of your thighs. Make sure your hair is kindda long. EXFOLIATE before doing it so you wont have ingrown hair. Wait at least two hours after showers so your skin and hair are dry. do not rewax a spot- this will hurt like hell. get someone to help with the back of your legs. Nair is the best. I have paid to have it done and they do it better but they have badass wax and they do it all the time. mine lasts about 5 weeks after a salon visit and two after an at home waxing but I am italian and tend to grow hair fast. dont get in a hot bath for id say at least 12hrs becase itll burn! your pores are WIDE open so thats why. Good luck!
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 6:09 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I have never waxed my own legs, but I have helped my cousin wax hers. Like previous poster said, you want to exfoliate before hand and avoid hot showers for a while and the beach for at least 24 hours because it will hurt(my cousin learned that the hard way). Nair is a good wax and there is also one from Sally Beauty Supply called Suddenly Smooth cream wax that is amazing. A lot of the salons around here use it. Do NOT use Nads. Everyone that I know that has used Nads has said it doesn't work and just leaves there legs bumpy and raw feeling.
    As far as being able to tan while waxing, my cousin has a very dark tan and she waxes all the time. So, you should be good.
    Be sure not to get the wax too hot and pull against hair growth. If you let the wax cool some before pulling the strip you will have a better chance of getting all the hair one time. Also, make sure hair is at least 1/4-1/2 inch long so the wax can actually grab it.
    wywys_mom_09

Answer by wywys_mom_09 at 2:38 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Thanks for the tip girls!! Now I know why I do a crappy job.. I need to exfoliate!!
    wifeNmom76

Answer by wifeNmom76 at 2:11 PM on May. 25, 2011