What causes random fainting?

i get dizzy, sweaty, shaking & nauseous about once or twice every other day. i usually start eating something w sugar and after enough i feel ok. does this happen to anyone else? i love to work out & run so I drink protein shakes a lot to try to prevent being sick.

mrsary

Asked by mrsary at 5:51 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Health

• I am having similar issues; but have checked my blood sugar and it's above 100 every time. I've been dealing with this for a month, and can't shake it. Eating something sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't. Nausea is bad enough, but worse is the lightheadedness feeling that I'm going to faint. Goes away for a day or two then comes right back again. Several people I work with got sick with stomach virus at the same time mine started but they're all better now. Mine just hangs on like an eveready battery! Would love to have some other thoughts. I've been to doc 3 times, ER once, currently on antibiotics (day 9 of 10), and just started taking B12s 1,000mcg daily. Very sick of being sick!
    Choosey

Answer by Choosey at 5:07 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Hypoglycemia. Low blood sugar. Be careful with the protein shakes make sure you drink plenty of water with that. Carry some hard candy with you at all times so that when you feel low at the first signs you can have sugar on hand. The best diet for that s actually no sugar (excepr carrying candy as an emergency). Eat four to five small meals a day. Stay away from starches. I don't know if you notice it but the more you gorge yourself on sugar the more it happens. Its because your body is producing more insulin to handle the sugar overload. That's why you have to eat small meals all day. Take care.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 8:06 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Sounds like low blood sugar.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:54 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I agree...sounds like low blood sugar.

Also, sudden drops in blood pressure can cause you to faint. I do it especially when I'm sick. It used to really freak people out until we realized that on its own, its not a serious issue. If it is related to your blood sugar, I would be much more worried.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:59 PM on May. 21, 2011

• many things can cause random fainting, such as dehydration, low blood sugar, autoimmune diseases...but your other symptoms are more in line with low blood sugar. Consult a doc about a diabetes or hypoglycemia test.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:06 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My ex mil had that happen. She thought low blood sugar. We finally took her to the hospital and it turned out she had low blood pressure or something like that? So when she stood up too fast or did something too fast she would pass out. Frankly I was fine with it, but my now ex wanted to get her fixed.

Answer by gemgem at 6:14 PM on May. 21, 2011

• When it happens to me it is due to low blood sugar. I don't know if that is what is causing it for you or not, to be safe I would suggest going to the doctor and getting it checked out.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:44 PM on May. 21, 2011

• here are some articles that explains this

http://diabetes.webmd.com/tc/hypoglycemia-low-blood-sugar-symptoms

http://diabetes.webmd.com/tc/hypoglycemia-low-blood-sugar-topic-overview

http://www.webmd.com/search/search_results/default.aspx?query=low%20blood%20sugar&sourceType=undefined
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 5:55 PM on May. 22, 2011

• low blood sugar. I would get dizzy from time to time and my iron count was down and had to have blood tranfusions so might want to get that checked out.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 7:47 PM on May. 22, 2011