Possible allergy...

Earlier today I gave my 7 month old a piece of zwieback toast to gnaw on to help with teething. After about 5 minutes or so the skin all around his mouth looked red and splotchy so I took it away. The redness lasted for the next half-hour or so. He didn't seem to be itchy at all and had no other reaction. It did not seem to bother him at all other than turning the skin around his mouth red. Could this be an allergic reaction? Should I call his doctor tomorrow, or wait until his next appointment and talk to her then? Thank you for your help!

Rachael420

Asked by Rachael420 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Possibly a reaction... but might it have been red from the toast rubbing on his mouth from the chewing? Usually reactions cover more of the body... but not always.
    I don't think you need to call the doctor about it unless he has other symptoms... and just bring it up next week.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• my guess is that it was the slobber from knawing that caused his face to turn red - kind of like chapped lips...
    i think if he were to have had an allergic reaction you would have seen it over more of his body.
    and it wouldnt have gone away on its own that quickly - usually you see an allergic reaction within the first 15 minutes and then it wont go away without a dose of antihistamine.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 6:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• It was probably a skin irritation. Rashes are usually on the chest, back, and/or limbs when there is an allergic reaction.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2008