What have you heard about the Church of Christ? Honestly?

I was raised Baptist but I am a member of the Church of Christ. I love going to church I feel at home and my pastor preaches from the bible, he does not add or take away. However, there are a great deal of people who think other wise about my church. Like it is some kid of cult or something. What have you heard?

BillieHolidae

Asked by BillieHolidae at 6:18 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've never heard it called a cult. I went with my grandma as a kid. The only thing I ever found weird was the lack of musical instruments. Plenty of singing, no music. Not what I was used to with the Baptist church I otherwise grew up in.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:20 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I dont really know not sure I have ever heard anything. More important is WHAT Bible hes preaching from. Not thoese out washed out changed around version but the true version which is KJV
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:21 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Not heard the cult thing? I have heard of the no musical insturments too, and they dont allow women pastors or believe women can be called by God to be a pastor?
    MomDW

Answer by MomDW at 6:24 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I went to a Church of Christ for years and actually felt more comfortable there than any other church I've ever attended. I found it to be bible based, no adding no subtracting no way out interpretations. There was a piano there and occasionally someone would bring in a guitar.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:24 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Sorry I cant stand that church. I left my abusive ex and the college I went to was a Christian college associated with them. My ex stalked me there claimed to be born again & I was forced to live in college married living with him to see if we could work it out ya know since God was watching & all. He ended up beating me up. I called the cops. They told me I was wrong for doing it & should have prayed to God to stop doing whatever it was I was doing to make my husband HAVE to beat me.
    After I left (I was thrown off campus he claimed I was a witch fyi) with the kids they PAID for him to try to take my kids from me & helped him get a lower child support obligation. So try as I may not to judge that church, I honestly would never ever walk into another one of them.

Answer by gemgem at 6:24 PM on May. 21, 2011

• what the police told you you souldnt have called the police or the school??
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:26 PM on May. 21, 2011

• The school & the preacher. The police took him to jail lol.

Answer by gemgem at 6:29 PM on May. 21, 2011

• i don't remember much about it, as i was VERY little, my dad went but my mom didn't, she felt there was something wrong with it. that was one reason for their divorce,anyway, it turns out she was right, the pastor ended up being gay and having sexual relations with some of the men in the church, he did something, not sure what it was as they didn't really talk about it (i only know most of this from when i got older and heard some talk) anyway, the pastor ended up getting arrested for something. alot of people i know left along with my dad before all of this happened, their eyes were opened before all of this came out. their rule was that the members of the church were not allowed to talk to the members that left. my dad lost his best friend because of this. it wasn't until 15 years later, his friend started sneaking around to see him and talk about it. they go to our church now, one we've been a member of since i was 7.
    Anonymous

• Not as bad as some I've heard, but I don't believe they are theology sound on everything.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:38 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My ex-hubby was raised C of C. His mom still belongs to one near her apt. They are actually some of the nicest people I'd ever met. I went with ex till we divorced. They saw us through the birth of both our babies, our daughter being a preemie, and in NICU for 12 days. I came home every night to a hot meal for 2 weeks, courtesy of our church. My current DH and I went to a C of C where we live now for quite some time. We bought a home from a couple, he was a retired C of C pastor. We thought we could trust them, they lied about the house the whole time, stole our money, and ended up with the house back, leaving us out in the cold, literally. I know not all C of C are like this, because the ones I knew when I was with my ex were wonderful. But, the ones we encountered here have genuinely turned us off to them.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 6:50 PM on May. 21, 2011