Sick baby

I took my baby to the ER last night. He has had a cough for a month, I've taken him to the doc 3x for it. They finally did a chest x-ray last night and it was fine. They said he has an upper respiratory infection. He's been sick for month I repeat! He's got a runny nose, cough, and puking. I can't keep fluids down him. He is hungry and tries to eat and then pukes. I have to feed him 1/2-1 oz every 20 min. He slept yesterday from 7pm-11am and his diaper was barely wet at 11am, no wet diaper since. He's been asleep all day, I am waking him to feed him. How can I get them to help me. I feel so bad for him. I don't want him to become dehydrated. Should I just keep following docs orders and wait it out?

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 6:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I do understand your frustration, but if its something viral and not bacterial then antibiotics won't help at all. They don't help viruses. My daughter just had a really bad cold and there wasnt anything they could do but medicine to stop the drainage. Hope your baby feels better soon!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• If he isnt having wet diapers then Im sure they told you to bring him in>? If not and its a new symptom you have every right to go back. Hes your child and you need to tell them you are unhappy with the way they are treating him and want him to be looked at further. Honestly to me sounds like he has asthma. I would take him back.

Answer by gemgem at 6:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Call your ped in the morning. Let them know about the decrease in wet diapers and the continuing of throwing up. They really should see your child again.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Wow. Im really sorry to hear that :( The doctors at the ER last night must have been asleep. i cant really judge but as you tell your son is feeling REALLY BAD... so in my opinion they should have kept him in the hospital to watch him.

Call your doctor again or bring him back to the ER and tell them to help your son. A shot or anything that will help him. There must be something they can do.

I hope your little boy feels better soon. :(
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• He's not acting lethargic when he's awake. He's smiling and stuff so I'm not sure. The doc even said last night, "is he always this good?" He's awfully good for being sick. I said, yeah, he's a good baby. He said he was going to give him a shot to help with the drainage b/c that's what was making him puke, he then changed his mind and told me to keep him hydrated. Hello? I am trying here, he's puking up pedialyte as well. If I feed him over 1 oz, he pukes. The instructions say to call if he's hasn't had a wet diaper for 4-6 hours, it's been 4 so far. His mouth isn't dry, his softspot isn't sunken. I just wish they'd give him antibiotics b/c it has been a month and doesnt' seem to be going away. The puking has only been since Fri.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Gem-I've asked continuously about asthma too b/c he breathes really raspy. They said he's too young for asthma and has a floppy trachea which is common in infants....I can almost guarantee that they will tell me he has asthma in a few years though
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Take him back to the ER... the 4-6 hours are now (its been 4 hours you said.. right?)... Tell them to check your son again and that you cant keep him hydrated because he keeps puking everything out. And this since friday. Something needs to happen, and they better help you and your little boy. Dont let them send you back home. They need to check him and usually they should take some blood also... thats what our ped. does when there is anything wrong with the kids... its better to be safe than sorry...
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Take him to the ER!! He is already dehydrated! Tommorrow could be to late!!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 8:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I talked to the ER nurse. He's not dehydrated, his body is just using the fluids that he's getting so that's why he's peeing so little. She said to bring him in if he refuses to eat or if his mouth gets dry. He's not fussy, he's not lethargic.....he acts normal but I know he's sick. I fed him 3 oz and he kept that down so hopefully!!!! I just wish they would give him antibiotics :(

I'm keeping a close eye on him so if he exibits any signs of dehydration, I'm out of here. Thanks for all your help!
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 8:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• That sounds exactly like what my son had. He had pnuemonia (sp?) I would def have them check it out. Good luck. Keep us posted
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 11:58 AM on Dec. 8, 2008