Are the first prenatal ultrasounds REALLY vaginal? adult content

I'm expecting my first, and go to the doctor for the first time Tuesday. I think I'm about six weeks along. Someone told me that the first ultrasound will be vaginal. Is that true, or was she just messing with me?

mrsjon

Asked by mrsjon at 6:39 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Don't worry, it is vaginal, but the techs won't hurt you at all. At 6 weeks that's the best way t get a clear visual on the ecosystem that's developing inside you. ;) Hubby may be a little uncomfortable seeing it, but the lights are dimmed and you'll have a sheet covering you so his attention should be drawn to the monitor. Best of luck to you and your family.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 6:53 PM on May. 21, 2011

• yea it's like a skinny wand, and it's no more uncomfortable than a pap smear or pelvic exam. the doctor will lube that thing up so there is little to no discomfort. if you do have to have one don't worry, it's really no big deal and they don't spend a whole lot of time in there.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:44 PM on May. 21, 2011

• No they are vaginal. It isnt that big of a deal. They stick this thing inside you like a huge dildo and they can see the baby that way.
    Anonymous

• it depends on your ob.. with my first two pregnancies i was seen by a midwife and didn't have an ultrasound til around 14 weeks along. with my third though my ob did a transvaginal ultrasound during my first checkup with her.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:42 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Yes, at six weeks it's probably trans vaginal. It's not a "huge dildo". That's rediculous. I get them all the time for ovarian cysts. It's a wand, and it's not that big. It's smaller than a penis. Don't freak out about it. It's not a big deal.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:43 PM on May. 21, 2011

• So, will my husband flip out? He's going with me...
    mrsjon

Comment by mrsjon (original poster) at 6:50 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I had 2 ultra sounds and neither were vaginal.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 6:50 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My husband never flipped out. It isnt sexual or sexy lol. More than likely you will be brought into a small room with the equipment in it, with a table you lie down on. You are covered up. They will ask you to undress from the waste down first, then give you a sheet to cover with. Then they insert the wand, and you will hopefully be able to see something. Your husband is going to have to get used you being undressed from the waste down from time to time through out your pregnancy.

Answer by gemgem at 6:53 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I also had two US's... never a vaginal one. It was never even offered.... so i don't even know why they'd do it that way to be honest

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:55 PM on May. 21, 2011