My ss is passing 1st grade barley how can i help him do better?

he leaves to his bio moms for 1.5 mos in the summer she does not help contribute educationally i feel like hes going to come back and forget the little he did learn

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 7:21 PM on May. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have found a web site that has homework u can print out. My daughter was having issuse in math but since I have start with extra homework she is getting it. I make sure she spends time on the weekends and now with summer I will continue. If we don't keep it up this summer I'm afraid of all the hard work we did will be lost if I don't continue tutoring at home.
    www.education.com/worksheets
    startingover777

Answer by startingover777 at 3:59 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Why would you wait until the end of the year to figure out what to do in regards to him not doing well the entire year? If he's really "barely" passing, then maybe a redo of the school year is in order.
    Anonymous

• It isnt her job to contribute. He has been living with you full time. What is he failing? And why? In 1st grade it is alot of one on one help being needed by the parents. Whatever he is struggling with you should probably look into a tutor if you cannot help him.

Answer by gemgem at 7:23 PM on May. 21, 2011

• We have our 4 and 5 year olds playing the Leapster Explorers (up to 4th grade stuff I think, their games are advanced for even ours)... JumpStart is $20 per grade level, and other programs that do the same job to play on PC... starfall.com is free, and I have a ton of links I use on my blogsite

But my advice is games, so it is fun... and maybe earning something for time logged in learning?

http://motherofallboyz.blogspot.com/

MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:48 PM on May. 21, 2011

• My kids earn magnet, which convert to money, and is all theirs! We stress education in our home, and probably why my kids have always been advanced... they walked by 9 months, and knew all they needed in kindergarten by the time they were 2!!! Oh, and I can say check into functions at your local library!!! They are FREE, so if you don't like them, no biggie... local community center for low cost functions
    MommaClark3

• ~*HUGS*~... hope you can get kid back up and maybe above standards
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:50 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Maybe send him with some workbooks, so when he is bord he can do those, or tell him to do a page a day. He should tell you if the mom told him not too(what mom is so lazy she wont even read to their own kids? strange) But this way at least if you give them to him he can and hopefully will do them. I would hope the mom would allow that, and not take them away or whatever.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:02 PM on May. 21, 2011

• You're son may not develop fully until he gets a littler older. One of my sons was like this and he turned out to be extremely smart.
    pjackson01

Answer by pjackson01 at 3:33 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Keep working with him
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• ok a little history ss moved in with us in aug 2010 couldnt read a word couldnt count nothing we taught him to do it all he started the 1st quarter .5 a fail 2nd and 3rd went to a 3.0 grade level we worked hard for this they started money and in depth comprehension and he has fallen down to a 2.0 barley passing in the 4th quarter that they are in now and no she doesnt help he is req to read 7 days for 30 mins and she tells him to lie to us and says he reads but he tells us he didnt and that she told him to say that so hes reading 5 days he goes every weekend with her but hubby cant tell her what to do with her time he just says ss has to read and thats all he can do we have come a long way with him i feel he will lose at least half over the summer break with bio mom so its double work for when ss come back.
    rinamomof2

Comment by rinamomof2 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on May. 21, 2011