How do i get my 6mo old to take a bottle?

my 6 month old baby is breastfed, but there are times when a bottle would come in handy, how can i get him to take a bottle? right now he just bites on them... any advice? thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try different nipples - some are supposed to be closer to natural than others. Alternatively, teach him to drink from a cup. My little guy completely refused bottles around 6months - even though I worked full time outside the home and he had taken them every day up until then. We started with sippy cups that flowed easily, but not too quickly. My mom said she just used a regular open cup from about that age (for those of us who wouldn't take a bottle). My doctor and LC both agreed that either of these options is fine.
    quietsmilie

Answer by quietsmilie at 7:36 PM on May. 21, 2011

• okay thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:41 PM on May. 21, 2011

• i agree w/ the pp. try different kinds. we use avent bottles, which i like alot. i wanted my son to take bottles easily after i was done bfeeding, so i started giving him a bottle of my pumped milk when he was about 2-3 weeks old, which worked well for us.

good luck :)
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 7:44 PM on May. 21, 2011

• It's hard to get him to take it from you. Try leaving the house for a short time and have someone else offer the bottle, and see what happens. Then you'll know if he'll easily take a bottle if you ever need to be away from him.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:59 PM on May. 21, 2011