Money for maternity leave??

Does anyone know of anything that could help me? I am already pregnant and due August 25th. I will have to have another C-Section so I will have to be off work for 8 weeks!! Can anyone tell me if they know of any insurance type thing that accepts pregnant woman that can help pay bills while not working??
I really don't want to have to go on state assistance. I have been on it before and it helped me through until I got my job. I just hate having to jump through all their hoops and don't want to have to deal with it again.

Any ideas??

MommyNMay

Asked by MommyNMay at 7:38 PM on May. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• Usually those types of insurances will only pay if you have the insurance for a certain period of time before you become pregnant. I know where i used to work we were offered AFLAC, and that would give you some money for expenses for maternity leave, but you had to have the coverage for 12 months prior to pregnancy.

I was able to collect Short Term Disability for my maternity leave. Maybe you could check into that.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:47 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Thank you so much! I will have to check and see what I can out about that. I appreciate it!
    MommyNMay

Comment by MommyNMay (original poster) at 9:02 PM on May. 21, 2011

• We just had to save our asses off, I worked for a small non-profit with no short term disability nor paid maternity leave
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:34 PM on May. 21, 2011

• call AFLAC and see if they have anything that could help
    adoptionjen

Answer by adoptionjen at 9:43 PM on May. 21, 2011

• As layh41407 said, most short-term disabililty insurances have a kind of "pre-existing condition" clause, and one that specifically states that you have to purchase the policy before you become pregnant in order for maternity leave to be covered. If you have short-term disability coverage through your job, contact someone in HR to ask about maternity leave. (And if you have health insurance through your job, in order to keep coverage, you're responsible for premium payments while you're out on leave; even if you get short-term disability payments, they don't deduct for health insurance premiums.) Otherwise, you're probably SOL. :(
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:52 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Check with your HR department, you may have short term disability insurance (will pay 60% of your salary)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:12 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Sorry, but I really don't know what you can do. When I was on leave with each of my pregnancies, I received 100% pay because I had a lot of time in with my company.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on May. 22, 2011

• Will any of it be covered under sick time or short term disability through your company's benefits. Both of mine were covered under sick time, so I was paid 100% of my salary while on maternity leave. Also, do you have any vacation saved? I know that wouldn't cover the entire 8 weeks, but it might at least help for a week or two.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:58 PM on May. 22, 2011